https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/49049-can_i_keep_trados_65_and_install_sdlx_trados_75_safely.html

Can I keep Trados 6.5 and install SDLX/Trados 7.5 safely?
Thread poster: Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:59
German to French
+ ...
Jun 8, 2006

I have downloaded the upgrade to SDLX/Trados 2006 (i.e. 7.5) but I'd like to know if I can keep my 6.5 version with dongle and install version 7.5 safely so that I can switch my TMs progressively.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
The Getting Started Guide says "yes". Jun 8, 2006

Hi Marie-Céline,

In the "SDL International\Doc" folder that the Trados 7.5 set-up wizard creates, you will find a PDF Getting Started Guide.

This is what it says on page 11:

>
Upgrading from Trados 6.5 Freelance.

You can run both Trados 6.5 Freelance and SDL Trados 2006 Freelance on the same computer but you must register the version you are going to use first from the Start menu. We recommend finishing projects in Trados 6.5 Freelance b
... See more
Hi Marie-Céline,

In the "SDL International\Doc" folder that the Trados 7.5 set-up wizard creates, you will find a PDF Getting Started Guide.

This is what it says on page 11:

>
Upgrading from Trados 6.5 Freelance.

You can run both Trados 6.5 Freelance and SDL Trados 2006 Freelance on the same computer but you must register the version you are going to use first from the Start menu. We recommend finishing projects in Trados 6.5 Freelance before moving to SDL Trados 2006 Freelance. If you need to have both versions co-exist for a time, each version is installed to a separate folder. The default installation location for version 6.5 and SDL Trados 2006 Freelance is different. Do not use different versions of the same component at the same time, for example you should close TagEditor 6.5 and register SDL Trados 2006 Freelance before using TagEditor 7.5. Do not use mixed setups,for example do not use TagEditor 6.5 with Translator ’s Workbench 7.5.
>

The important thing is to register each version of Trados every time you use it.

Trados 6.5 won't open TMs made in 7.5 but you can export them as text and import them into the earlier version.

HTH

Giles
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"...so that I can switch my TMs progressively...." Jun 9, 2006

It is safe - my own experience - to bite the bullet and switch in one single sweep. Having two versions in parallel would cost you more than it's worth.

Regards

Vito

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Agree with Vito Jun 9, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

It is safe - my own experience - to bite the bullet and switch in one single sweep.

Vito

I agree with Vito that it's much better to switch at one fell swoop than to try to run two versions of Trados on the same computer. I didn't have any TM conversion problems either.

Good luck!

Giles

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Progressively... discovering Trados 7.5 Jun 9, 2006

Hi all,
Thanks for your comments. I was afraid that I would have to convert my TMs in order to work with 7.5 and I wanted to be able to rely on 6.5 in case some urgent work came and I didn't have time to do it.
But from what I can see now that I've installed SDL Trados 2006, there is no big difference in the format so I guess I can go on working with my version 6.5 TMs - or is there some new functionality that makes it worth spending time to export my old TMs, create new ones in 7.5
... See more
Hi all,
Thanks for your comments. I was afraid that I would have to convert my TMs in order to work with 7.5 and I wanted to be able to rely on 6.5 in case some urgent work came and I didn't have time to do it.
But from what I can see now that I've installed SDL Trados 2006, there is no big difference in the format so I guess I can go on working with my version 6.5 TMs - or is there some new functionality that makes it worth spending time to export my old TMs, create new ones in 7.5 and import all the stuff? Did I miss something or are Trados 7.5 TMs essentially identical to 6.5?
The only change I have noticed so far is the possibility to add terms on the fly to Multiterm so I'm definitely going to switch to Multiterm 7, but apart from that, what's really new?
Collapse

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Read the Getting Started Guide and release notes carefully Jun 9, 2006

Hi again Marie-Céline,

It is worthwhile migrating your TMs to WB 7.5 from version 6.5 because the new release uses a different database engine.

When you are migrating to MultiTerm 7 from version 6, do read the release notes carefully because you need to detach your termbases from version 6 before you install version 7:

>
You must attach MultiTerm 6.x termbases as MDB files in MultiTerm 7 and the termbase objects will be reorganised and recreated. SDL
... See more
Hi again Marie-Céline,

It is worthwhile migrating your TMs to WB 7.5 from version 6.5 because the new release uses a different database engine.

When you are migrating to MultiTerm 7 from version 6, do read the release notes carefully because you need to detach your termbases from version 6 before you install version 7:

>
You must attach MultiTerm 6.x termbases as MDB files in MultiTerm 7 and the termbase objects will be reorganised and recreated. SDL recommends the following procedure when upgrading to SDL MultiTerm 7:

1. 1) Detach existing termbases
* For each termbase that is available within your MultiTerm iX Workstation environment, select Termbase > Detach and keep a copy of the termbase MDB file on your hard disk.
2. 2) Install MultiTerm 7
* Uninstall TRADOS MultiTerm iX Workstation and MultiTerm Extract (if available). To do this, use the Remove feature in Add or Remove Programs
* Now install SDL MultiTerm 7 Desktop.
3. 3) Reload your termbases
* Start MultiTerm Desktop
* For each termbase (MDB file) select Load External Termbase from the Termbase menu.
* Enter the location of your MultiTerm version 6.x files. Enter a friendly termbase name and click OK.
* The termbase is now being attached, reorganised, and updated to the new format. This can take a while.
* You can now use this termbase; termbase objects from version 6.x are recreated in MultiTerm 7. However, any customised layouts you created in version 6.x cannot be migrated and need to be redesigned.
>

HTH

Giles
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I keep Trados 6.5 and install SDLX/Trados 7.5 safely?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »