https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/49489-tageditor_652417_with_powerpoint_%22unable_to_locate_original_file%22_msg_when_try_to_view_previews.html

TagEditor 6.5.2.417 with PowerPoint: "Unable to locate original file" msg when try to view Previews
Thread poster: Orla Shanaghy
Orla Shanaghy
Orla Shanaghy  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:42
German to English
Jun 15, 2006

Hi,
I am translating a PPT file in TagEditor 6.5.2.417. The Edit and View tabs work fine, but when I try any of the Preview tabs, I get the following popup:
"Connection with server application error: Unable to locate original file: [gives path to my Temp directory on C drive ending with the name of the file I am translating, although the file is not located there]. Please copy this original file into directory above and try again."
I did this as instructed, but still got the sa
... See more
Hi,
I am translating a PPT file in TagEditor 6.5.2.417. The Edit and View tabs work fine, but when I try any of the Preview tabs, I get the following popup:
"Connection with server application error: Unable to locate original file: [gives path to my Temp directory on C drive ending with the name of the file I am translating, although the file is not located there]. Please copy this original file into directory above and try again."
I did this as instructed, but still got the same error message afterwards.
I have hecked the version no. of the TagEditor that was used to create the TTX file (not done by me) - it is 2.0, i.e. different from my version. I'm not sure whether this is relevant and if so, what to do about it.
Any help gratefully received as deadline tomorrow, thanks!
Orla
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 07:42
German to English
+ ...
Create the bilingual file again Jun 15, 2006

Hi Orla,

This has happened to me occasionally as well. I think it has something to do with the original source file behind moved or renamed or whatever - I'm sure someone will have a more technically satisfying explanation.

One way I have got round it is to create the bilingual file again - go into TagEditor and open up the PPT again. It might take a while for it to create the bilingual file, but all your work is in the memory, so you should be able to work merrily awa
... See more
Hi Orla,

This has happened to me occasionally as well. I think it has something to do with the original source file behind moved or renamed or whatever - I'm sure someone will have a more technically satisfying explanation.

One way I have got round it is to create the bilingual file again - go into TagEditor and open up the PPT again. It might take a while for it to create the bilingual file, but all your work is in the memory, so you should be able to work merrily away after that.

All the best

Ian
Collapse

Orla Shanaghy
Orla Shanaghy  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:42
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! but still getting error msg... Jun 16, 2006

Thanks for for reply Ian. Though after I did as you suggest, I just got the same error message again. I think you are right that it has something to do with the original file being moved/re-named, as I did move it to another directory after downloading it. I've just made do with the target-text View function on this occasion as delivery looms. If anyone had a more technically satisfying explanation though as you suggest, it would be great to know how to deal with this.

Irina Bankos (X)
Irina Bankos (X)
Local time: 08:42
English to Romanian
+ ...
Thank you for your help. Nov 1, 2008

Hello,

Thank you very much for your advice. I had the same problem with a Word document in which the text was copied from a PDF file. After the same error appeared in TagEditor I made a new folder, put the original document in and then reopened Trados and the translation being done I was able to save it as a document in Word.

The conclusion is thank you for your assistance. It helped me a lot not to lose my mind looking at the translation.

Bye,
... See more
Hello,

Thank you very much for your advice. I had the same problem with a Word document in which the text was copied from a PDF file. After the same error appeared in TagEditor I made a new folder, put the original document in and then reopened Trados and the translation being done I was able to save it as a document in Word.

The conclusion is thank you for your assistance. It helped me a lot not to lose my mind looking at the translation.

Bye,
Irina

[Edited at 2008-11-01 10:48]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:42
English to Czech
+ ...
PPT location Nov 1, 2008

Hi Orla,
have you received the original PPT file you are translating? Or have you received only a TTX?

If the former is true, then make sure the PPT file is located in the same folder from which you created your TTX. If it is not, move it there.
Example:

Your PPT was located in C:\Documents and Settings\Orla\Documents\Translations\your_powerpoint_file.ppt. You had created your TTX from this location, b
... See more
Hi Orla,
have you received the original PPT file you are translating? Or have you received only a TTX?

If the former is true, then make sure the PPT file is located in the same folder from which you created your TTX. If it is not, move it there.
Example:

Your PPT was located in C:\Documents and Settings\Orla\Documents\Translations\your_powerpoint_file.ppt. You had created your TTX from this location, but you moved/deleted it afterwards. So what you need to do is to move the PPT file again to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Orla\Documents\Translations\.

If the latter is true, you won't be able to restore the PPT unless you have the original file.

Hope it helps.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor 6.5.2.417 with PowerPoint: "Unable to locate original file" msg when try to view Previews

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »