Pre-translation tool doesn't translate file...
Thread poster: Lucy-Jane Michel

Lucy-Jane Michel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:23
French to English
+ ...
Jul 4, 2006

Hello,
I'm new to Trados so I'm hoping this is a basic thing: when I use the translate tool, the text .BAK remains in the source language - I select the file from the 'browse' box, then copy/paste from 'Explorer' as per instructions, but the stats always show 0 terms translated. I've added similar files to the memory through WinAlign.
Any ideas? Many thanks for any help,
Lucy-Jane

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The bak-file is the backup, it does not change. Jul 4, 2006

And if your TM has no 100% matches Trados Workbench cannot translate anything. Try first to analyse your file in Workbench.
Regards
Heinrich

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not even with file used to create memory... Jul 4, 2006

I tried it with one of the files I used to create the WinAlign project that I imported into Trados; still nothing! I ran it through the 'Analyse' and it gave me 81% at 95-99% match.
Ummmmm....any other ideas?

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Also 6% at 100% Jul 4, 2006

Sorry forgot that bit!

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
To find out what's happening... Jul 4, 2006

translate one of the winaligned files (i.e. the source of one of the file pairs) with word using the created TM.

btw there's a texbox in the pretranslate for X "% or higher match value" - with 95 as default. If you have it at 100 then not much will get pretranslated.

regards

Vito

PS: well, 6% (g)

[Edited at 2006-07-04 13:35]

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WinAlign doc gives same result... Jul 4, 2006

Thanks Vito...

I tried one of the docs I used in WinAlign which is where I got 6%...could the translated doc be stored somewhere I haven't looked?
When I analyse one of the WinAlign docs I get all sorts of data of matches etc, and when I translate it I get
Translated: 45 segments, 314 words
Terms translated: 0

???

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
what's wrong then?? Jul 4, 2006

you do get 45 segments & 314 words translated. Re terms - that applies to the involvement of MultiTerm, which is out of this context anyhow.

In word you should see 45 sentences - out of 45*100 /6 = 750 (!) - pretranslated. That's not much, but otoh should not be that difficult to check.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly! Jul 4, 2006

There's nothing changed in Word...
I've tried running it with the word doc open at the same time and I just get an error message telling me to close the doc first... I just can't find out where this translated doc is!

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it sorted Jul 4, 2006

Thanks very much for all your help, chaps/chapesses - I've got it sussed! Ouf, in true French fashion.

Cheers,
Lucy-Jane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-translation tool doesn't translate file...

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search