TM size
Thread poster: Katalin Sandor

Katalin Sandor  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 6, 2006

I've been wondering. Is there a rule of thumb (or rule per se) as to how large you should let a single TM grow? I haven't been able to find anything on this in the TRADOS manuals. Does anybody know, or have any experience of oversized TMs causing trouble? I tend to use one TM for each client, but with clients sending 400 thousand + character stuff all the time, I'm not sure...
I'd appreciate any bright insights.

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:41
English to French
+ ...
Loading it could be a problem Jul 6, 2006

I don't have any definite information on this. However, I don't think the size matters much except for the time it takes to load it when you start your CAT tool. It's much like e-mail - the more e-mail you have, the longer it takes to start Outlook. I cleaned it not very long ago, and just before that, I had about 15,000 e-mails. They were still easy to manage and the program was not slowed down - but it took several seconds to load. I observed the same thing with Trados. I also have some rather large TMs and they do take longer to load, but once loaded, the program works as usual and it doesn't take much time when doing concordance searches either.

I have a memory that contains over 10,000 segments - all for the same client and the same project - and it works just fine. I have a feeling that, when Workbench searches for matches, it pretty much searches in a plain text file. You probably know that searching in a text file is always a breeze, even when said file is very large.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a TM that's too large. For now, I actually believe it's the most steady thing about Trados - OK, it's true that there are not many steady things about it

How about asking SDL through e-mail see what they say about this?

Cheers!

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
No problems Jul 6, 2006

with loading a large TM. I have a general TM of about 199. 000 Kb (565.000 units) and it causes no problems nor delayed loading.

I never tried to export it as a txt file, don't know if it would be a problem.

Hope this helps

Antonella

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
>800.000 and no problems at the moment Jul 6, 2006

But beware when something goes wrong and you do not have an actual backup copy (daily - at least!).
Workbench has crashed once and then the TM was damaged. I should reorganise it. I did so, but still some units were damaged, Trados said, so I should export it and create a new one to import the units. I did so. But the export worked for only roughly 2/3 of the whole TM. Nearly 250.000 segmets were lost! Would I not have a backup, well my dear... Half a year work or so damaged. Only to be restored by cleaning the textes I wrote. Terrible.
The support men meant, the old format of TM, used in freelance version, is not very suitable for such large TMs.

I have been speaking with Mrs. Wirkus at SDL Trados - she told me, that it is unwise to let the TM to grow so much.
Now I´m working and looking, how it behaves. No problems with loading or concordance search within the TM. But: when I open this one huge TM and then have another big TM defined as reference TM for cocordance I get memory errors. Even if my PC has 2 Gig of RAM I get memory problems.

So there is no answer to your question. AFAIK there is no limit on size - but the limit might occur from the configuration of your machine.

Regards
Jerzy

Katalin Sandor  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 12, 2006

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds reassuring, so I will just keep on with what I have been doing (minding my backups, which I am not very good at).
Thanks again
SK

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM size

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search