Thread poster: Katalin Sandor
Katalin Sandor
Katalin Sandor  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 21:01
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 12, 2006

My pet annoyance: Whenever I get a fuzzy match, and copy the target language text into my document, more often than not the formatting goes all wrong (i.e., Trados does not keep the formatting of the unit I'm working on), and, worse still, it invariably gets the language wrong (source-target languages swapped). It's a real pain, having to change the fonts and language each time.
I hope I'm doing something wrong, and there is a setting somewhere that I should have found to resolve this, a
... See more
My pet annoyance: Whenever I get a fuzzy match, and copy the target language text into my document, more often than not the formatting goes all wrong (i.e., Trados does not keep the formatting of the unit I'm working on), and, worse still, it invariably gets the language wrong (source-target languages swapped). It's a real pain, having to change the fonts and language each time.
I hope I'm doing something wrong, and there is a setting somewhere that I should have found to resolve this, and that this is not a Trados feature
Advice, anyone?
Thanks in advance
SK
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"more often than not the formatting goes all wrong" Jul 13, 2006

...meaning sometimes it's OK. This means that your translation memory contains formatting entries in the target segments - this is just a guess or a description of troubles I have been experiencing now and then as well -.

Test: export a few of the offending translations to a text file and correct it. Check if things improved after you have imported the corrections.

re "getting the language wrong": it gets what's in the TM - in this sense TWB is plain dumb as it should
... See more
...meaning sometimes it's OK. This means that your translation memory contains formatting entries in the target segments - this is just a guess or a description of troubles I have been experiencing now and then as well -.

Test: export a few of the offending translations to a text file and correct it. Check if things improved after you have imported the corrections.

re "getting the language wrong": it gets what's in the TM - in this sense TWB is plain dumb as it should be -. Can you give us a typical example of this problem (I just can imagine a case where source and target get swapped)

regards

smo
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m sorry to confirm that Jul 13, 2006

Katalin Sandor wrote:

I hope I'm doing something wrong, and there is a setting somewhere that I should have found to resolve this, and that this is not a Trados feature
Advice, anyone?
Thanks in advance
SK

It is a feature of Word: it sets the text to a fromatting saved in the corresponding style. We have so often discussed this "issues" here. What you need is at least to change the language in the styles and in the document to your target language. Please use the search function for "formatting changes" or better "styles" - you will find numerous threads about it.
Please refer to Word manual or help how to adapt language in the styles and in document. Please read also how to modify styles.

Regards
Jerzy

Katalin Sandor
Katalin Sandor  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved, apparently Jul 13, 2006

Jerzy, nothing to be sorry about. As I said, I was hoping that this would be the case. Indeed, two simple clicks (changing normal para formatting) solved the problem (apparently). I should have thought about it myself. Also, I hadn't checked the forum before posting the question. My mistake.
Vito, thanks for the hints. As it is, it seems to have been just a getting-annoyed-before-thinking issue.
Appreciate the help from both of you.
SK

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
little funny irritating story for the end of the thread Jul 13, 2006

In my case this kind of a problem turns up now and then in a form of a swap of slovenian character č (like ch in chill) for the french è. This is the only difference between the western european and mid-european character sets, concerning Slovenian language - all the rest is pretty much identical -.

But, this knowledge does not help at all - I just dont know (or possibly always forget) what I need to do to sanitize the text...
I do it anyhow, I sigh, pour myself one more
... See more
In my case this kind of a problem turns up now and then in a form of a swap of slovenian character č (like ch in chill) for the french è. This is the only difference between the western european and mid-european character sets, concerning Slovenian language - all the rest is pretty much identical -.

But, this knowledge does not help at all - I just dont know (or possibly always forget) what I need to do to sanitize the text...
I do it anyhow, I sigh, pour myself one more coffee, pretranslate one more time - and there's those frenchies back again...

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-07-13 11:50]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wrong language when fuzzy match text copied

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »