FredP
FredP
Local time: 09:34
German to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 12, 2006

Hello,

I've just finished to translate a 70-page job in Word 2003 with Trados (7.5. / Build 756). Now, I want to clean the whole but I can't!
I still got the same message: "214 741 7851 -- "Server generated an exception" (in french: "Le serveur a généré une exception".
I tried a trick which normally works quite well in such cases: I opened the Word-File and executed directly the "TW4-CleanMain" Macro". Unfortunately, it just didn't work this time...
I'm know qui
... See more
Hello,

I've just finished to translate a 70-page job in Word 2003 with Trados (7.5. / Build 756). Now, I want to clean the whole but I can't!
I still got the same message: "214 741 7851 -- "Server generated an exception" (in french: "Le serveur a généré une exception".
I tried a trick which normally works quite well in such cases: I opened the Word-File and executed directly the "TW4-CleanMain" Macro". Unfortunately, it just didn't work this time...
I'm know quite desperate (and angry against SDL/Trados who simply ignore the help requests I submitted since Monday) because I must deliver my work by tomorrow evening...

Has anyone a good idea / remedy to the this problem?

Thank you for your help!

Thecoral.
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Copy of the file ? Jul 12, 2006

Hi Thecoral

Did you try to save a copy of your source doc and to retranslate it (either automatically with the "Translate" command or "by hand") ?

It's very strange that even the macro did not work ! Do you get an error message, or what happens when you double-click the macro ?

Sylvain

FredP
FredP
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
--- Jul 12, 2006

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you try to save a copy of your source doc and to retranslate it (either automatically with the "Translate" command or "by hand") ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> No. Actually, I translated some parts of the document without Workbench. That's why I wanted to keep this file...

---------------------------------------------------------
... See more
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> No. Actually, I translated some parts of the document without Workbench. That's why I wanted to keep this file...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's very strange that even the macro did not work ! Do you get an error message, or what happens when you double-click the macro ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

>> Nothing happens at all! (no processing / no error message)
I've never seen such a thing...
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Two possibilities Jul 12, 2006

One option is to manually delete all the source text. I have done this before now. It would take about 3 hours for a 70-page document, but then, in 3 hours, the drama is over and you have a clean translation to send.

Another thing I did once - and the client never complained, was to send a document without cleaning it. However, first I changed the options in Word. Go to the sixth menu along the top (whatever it may be called in French) and choose, from the menu, "Options". In this
... See more
One option is to manually delete all the source text. I have done this before now. It would take about 3 hours for a 70-page document, but then, in 3 hours, the drama is over and you have a clean translation to send.

Another thing I did once - and the client never complained, was to send a document without cleaning it. However, first I changed the options in Word. Go to the sixth menu along the top (whatever it may be called in French) and choose, from the menu, "Options". In this "Options" menu, under the second lot of boxes to tick ("formatting signs"), remove the tick from the one that enables the source text to be seen. This is the top box out of the second row of boxes, on the right-hand side. Once you remove the tick from that box, you will not see the source text in your document any more. If you then send the document like this, the client will receive it in the same mode and will therefore not see the source text, and not complain.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but my computer is all in German.

Astrid
Collapse

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
My 2 cents Jul 12, 2006

have you tried to open the doc file and save it as txt?
I always try this, otherwise you may Astrid's advice and hide the source segments (Options> deselect Hidden Text and All text) in Word.
Hope you solve it

Bests
Antonella

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
I do not vote for the hide option Jul 12, 2006

Sending the text without cleaning doesn't sound a good idea to me. Sorry, Astrid and Maria, if the client ask for a cleaned file, it's like cheating. When I worked as a PM I always wanted cleaned and uncleaned files and the cleaning log. Normally we continued working (proofreading) on the uncleaned files. Cleaning was only a test that everything went well during the translation. In thecoral's case something obviously went wrong. When you only hide the source text you transfer the fixing of the f... See more
Sending the text without cleaning doesn't sound a good idea to me. Sorry, Astrid and Maria, if the client ask for a cleaned file, it's like cheating. When I worked as a PM I always wanted cleaned and uncleaned files and the cleaning log. Normally we continued working (proofreading) on the uncleaned files. Cleaning was only a test that everything went well during the translation. In thecoral's case something obviously went wrong. When you only hide the source text you transfer the fixing of the file to the client. That not fair from the PM's viewpoint.
Ehm ... actually I don't have a solution for the problem, but I would not send an uncleaned file.
Collapse

Maurice Devroye
Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 03:34
English to French
Quick and easy solution Jul 12, 2006

Hi Thecoral,

This works for me:

1. Copy the original document
2. Open a new document
3. "Paste Special as unformatted text" into new document.

You now have a clean text to send back.
No need to use Trados at all for this procedure.
All the best
Maurice

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
Maybe the file is too big? Jul 12, 2006

I am relatively inexperienced in Trados, so maybe my advice won't make any sense. But one of the first jobs I made with Trados contained several huge images (photos), and when I tried to clean up, it didn't work. It then occurred to me that maybe the photos are getting in the way, I deleted them, and the cleanup worked.
Maybe if you divide the file into several small ones?
Again, sorry if that doesn't make much sense.

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Maybe... Jul 12, 2006

Hello Theocoral,

In Word:

Choose OPEN and go to the directory with your file. And choose not Open, but OPEN AND REPAIR (Öffnen und Reparieren in my German Office Version). Then save the file and try to clean again.

Geneviève:)

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I just remembered something else Jul 12, 2006

I have done this a few times, too.

If you print the document out, only the target text will print. Then you scan it back in as a .pdf, convert it with Abbyy Fine Reader and make it back into a Word document, but all the original errors are gone, and so is the source text. This would work well with straight pages of text, where you do not have to do too much reformatting.

Astrid

P.S. Actually, Maurice's advice is probably a less troublesome version of the sa
... See more
I have done this a few times, too.

If you print the document out, only the target text will print. Then you scan it back in as a .pdf, convert it with Abbyy Fine Reader and make it back into a Word document, but all the original errors are gone, and so is the source text. This would work well with straight pages of text, where you do not have to do too much reformatting.

Astrid

P.S. Actually, Maurice's advice is probably a less troublesome version of the same thing.

[Edited at 2006-07-12 21:45]
Collapse

FredP
FredP
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
And the winner is.... Jul 13, 2006

Hi everybody,

Thank you for all your inputs.... the nightmare is over!

I tried and tried again all of your tipps and tricks... well, almost all.
I divided the document into small parts, saved in rtf, txt. No way, I was still unable to clean the thing...
I tried to copy and paste as unformatted Text. No way.....

Then, I took some good music, sat quietly here and started to delete..
... See more
Hi everybody,

Thank you for all your inputs.... the nightmare is over!

I tried and tried again all of your tipps and tricks... well, almost all.
I divided the document into small parts, saved in rtf, txt. No way, I was still unable to clean the thing...
I tried to copy and paste as unformatted Text. No way.....

Then, I took some good music, sat quietly here and started to delete... Well, despite the music and a cold drink... it's really no fun that job! It's really really boring and stupid. Around midnight, about half of the document was cleaned...
Then Geneviève proposed a new and (apparently) simple idea ...."Open and Repair". And IT WORKED!!!!

You can imagine... if you were all around here at that time I'd have opened a bottle of champagne!!)
I can now finish to review my final version!

So, so, thank you again Sylvain, Astrid, Maria, Vauwe, Maurice, Nesrin I really really appreciated your help and.....many many Thanks und liebe Grüsse Geneviève!

Ciao, ciao

thecoral / Fred.
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Great... Jul 13, 2006

Theocoral,

Tu me gardes une goutte de champagne ?

It is very funny because I am NOT a Trados user... but a colleague had the same problem last year and I fand this solution.

Geneviève

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Merci Geneviève Jul 13, 2006

Thanks from me too, I will give it a try the next time I have a problem

Sylvain

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
find fand fund? Jul 13, 2006

I fand this solution.

Mais n'enculons pas des mouches SVP (g) - to quote James Bond.

FredP
FredP
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
007 Jul 13, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

I fand this solution.

Mais n'enculons pas des mouches SVP (g) - to quote James Bond.

----------

For the champagne, it's too late!

PS. Does James really speak like that?? I probably missed something...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleanup impossible... :-(

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »