Bad Japanese term recognition in Multiterm (all versions)
Thread poster: CELC Inc
CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 22:11
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2006

Multiterm is awful at recognizing Japanese terms. (I'm sure the problem is equally bad for Chinese, though my experience is so limited I wouldn't risk a definite statement.) In fact, the correlation feature of Workbench and TagEditor is just as bad, but I can live with that.

Here's my guess as to why: I am betting that the application is looking for spaces or punctuation to demarcate the terms.

One easy example I can give to back this up is what Trados does to phone n
... See more
Multiterm is awful at recognizing Japanese terms. (I'm sure the problem is equally bad for Chinese, though my experience is so limited I wouldn't risk a definite statement.) In fact, the correlation feature of Workbench and TagEditor is just as bad, but I can live with that.

Here's my guess as to why: I am betting that the application is looking for spaces or punctuation to demarcate the terms.

One easy example I can give to back this up is what Trados does to phone numbers:
If the # is 019-621-8145, Trados sees three placeables: 019, -621, and -8145. Clearly this indicates that the dash is treated as a word break.

Here's the problem: no spaces in Japanese.

So, what can I do to aid recognition? Is there a setting I can use in MT or Workbench/TagEditor to change this? Should I suggest that SDL do something to improve this in future releases?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad Japanese term recognition in Multiterm (all versions)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »