Thread poster: carlos cegarra sanmartin

carlos cegarra sanmartin  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 31, 2006

Hi all,

I've got a Translation Memory (Trados Freelance 7) of about 390K and I am trying to export it and send it by email I and import it from another computer. The file that I manage to send is a .tmx file but rather small, about 14K, and the icon of workbench disappears.

On the other hand, when I send the translation memory as a Trados Translation Memory I manage to send a 390K file with the Translator Workbench icon, but after downloading it with another computer I cannot open it. When clicking on it a dialogue box says that "an errored ocurred when trying to verify the licence. Please check the installation and try again". If he tries to open it from workbench the status bar says that cannot find the specific file...

Could anybody tell me how can I easily export/import a TM from one computer to another??

Thank you very much

Carlos Cegarra

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
14K seems very small Jul 31, 2006

Especially that an export file has font information on the beginning. In my case it's more than 14K.

I had a problem with license file too. It seems to me, that TRADOS need sime time to record information that a file is not open anymore. Before copying, close TRADOS and wait a while. Or better yet copy files BEFORE you start TRADOS. Still import/export should be the best way.

By the way: it happened that my exports were truncated (TRADOS 7.0 - an index was broken). Trados 7.1 exported the whole file.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Import, not open Jul 31, 2006

Carlos, you talk about importing, yet you double-click on the file in Explorer. This means you're trying to open it when you should import it.

You need to create a new, empty TM in Trados and then import, not open, the file you exported into that new TM. See the relevant information in your Trados on-line manual if in doubt.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: 14 kB sounds about right for such a small TM.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
One more way to do it Jul 31, 2006

to zip it (actually "them" - there's a tmw and a 3 index files) and carry it over to the target system without involving import/export.

Import/export is meant for parts of the translation memory - of course if it is small enough, you can do that with the ocmplete memory as well .

And ... it makes sense to have a memory stick with all - or most important - TMs. Then this import/export problem becomes a non-issue.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Mind the numbers Jul 31, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

to zip it (actually "them" - there's a tmw and a 3 index files) and carry it over to the target system without involving import/export.

Good idea, but there are 4 index files, actually.
5 files total.

Regards,
Benjamin

carlos cegarra sanmartin  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
got it! Aug 1, 2006

Thank you very much dear colleagues, this forum is absolutely fantastic, congratulations to all of you!!

Carlos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export/import Translation Memory Trados Freelance 7

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search