Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 06:17
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Aug 10, 2006

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I have some questions about Trados:

Why is it the best? I read some forum posts talking about WordFast offering the same quality of work ... and a way less price! Then why TRADOS?

Which version is the best and most required by clients? And what are the basic differences among all those versions? Why would some translators/clients go for a specific version and not another?

Where should I buy it from? I viewed a fo
... See more
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I have some questions about Trados:

Why is it the best? I read some forum posts talking about WordFast offering the same quality of work ... and a way less price! Then why TRADOS?

Which version is the best and most required by clients? And what are the basic differences among all those versions? Why would some translators/clients go for a specific version and not another?

Where should I buy it from? I viewed a forum post on ProZ a couple of months ago (couldn't find it now) where translators discussed Trados price. The huge difference of prices among different distributers was amazing. Some colleagues were even angry with the prices offered on some sites as the cheapest while much less was offered on other sites. Where should I get a best price/deal from?

Another thing ... viewing Trados site, I noticed other software there ... you know ... work bench, phrase something ... Are they necessary? If you have Trados, do you really need those as well? My point is ... if I'll pay all that money for Trados, then should I keep planning for adding more and paying more later??

UM ... I know I ask a lot of questions, but one final question : SDL Trados, and Trados (6.0 and above)... If I should buy any, then which would you recommend and why?

I know that I can find some answers surfing the internet and some forums, but I'm seeking the experience of those who actually USE Trados ... and I mean REALLY USE it!

Thanks for your help in advance

[Edited at 2006-08-10 17:55]
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Short replies..start out with Wordfast! Aug 10, 2006

..... or another CAT tool that is valid for your language combination, so you can see if it works for you without investing too much at once.
My very own experiences:
I started out with Wordfast (there are many alternatives though), which gave me the opportunity to create uncleaned 'Trados' files and to work with Trados memories.
BUT if you are translating a lot of technical manuals, which are usually supplied to the translator in Tag Editor you need Trados.
My second C
... See more
..... or another CAT tool that is valid for your language combination, so you can see if it works for you without investing too much at once.
My very own experiences:
I started out with Wordfast (there are many alternatives though), which gave me the opportunity to create uncleaned 'Trados' files and to work with Trados memories.
BUT if you are translating a lot of technical manuals, which are usually supplied to the translator in Tag Editor you need Trados.
My second CAT was SDLX, which I find quite easy to work with. I then bought Trados, but now you buy them both as a package ('SDL Trados') - so when I upgraded I upgraded them both.
I do not know about pricing - I bought my first versions through Proz offers and via a translation agency.
Good luck!

Your profile states that you are using Trados though...

[Edited at 2006-08-10 22:07]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:17
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
A simple answer to a complicated question Aug 10, 2006

Try!

From my own experience I couldn´t survive in the world of technical translation without a CAT tool.
In my case it is Trados, because my customers started to demand it.
Then I use Transit Satellite PE, because some of my customers demand it.
For a short time I used SDLX, because a single customer wanted to have it. So I bought the software, worked for a short period with this customer and then he changed his provider, so the agency I was working with for him d
... See more
Try!

From my own experience I couldn´t survive in the world of technical translation without a CAT tool.
In my case it is Trados, because my customers started to demand it.
Then I use Transit Satellite PE, because some of my customers demand it.
For a short time I used SDLX, because a single customer wanted to have it. So I bought the software, worked for a short period with this customer and then he changed his provider, so the agency I was working with for him does not provide anymore work for SDLX...
Until now no one asked for Wordfast or DejaVu, but this is not representative - it happend only to me.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why, Which, Where ... Trados?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »