Accidentally Imported TM
Thread poster: Hikonishi (X)
Hikonishi (X)
Hikonishi (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:38
English to Japanese
Aug 16, 2006

I accidentally imported a TM (txt file) into my TM. How can I deleted the imported TM to obtain the original TM. Please advise.

I use TRADOS 2006 Freelance.

Thank you!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:38
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
use maintainance... Aug 16, 2006

How can I deleted the imported TM to obtain the original TM.

... and delete all records that are younger than

Regards

Vito

PS: and, of course, make yourself a backup first.

[Edited at 2006-08-16 21:22]

Hikonishi (X)
United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Already imported Aug 16, 2006

I have already imported before making backup of original TM. How can I handle this?

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:38
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Possible procedure Aug 16, 2006

Dear hkonishi,

There are many ways to obtain the same result, but with some patience and this procedure you should get a TM clean from the unwanted entries.

Try the following procedure, described here step-by-step:

1. Make a backup now, or export all the current TM, so that if anything goes wrong with the following procedure you can at least restart from the current status.

2. Go to the menu File, option Maintenance

3. Setup a "Filter"
then click on ADD, and specify the date in the "Criterion" field
Set a suitable date, for example >16/8/2006 (yesterday)

4. Check that you effectively see, browsing the current memory (using "Begin Search" and then Next) only the new unwanted records.
Check the creation date. Note that the date is in the mm/dd/yyyy format.

5. Delete the entries per whole pages.
If you have many entries, set a number of item much higher than the default '5', so that you can remove a larger number of entries each time you click on "Delete".

6. After that all entries having a date higher than yesterday have been removed, click on "Reset", to remove the filter.

7. Browse again the memory, and now you should see only the remaining entries (those existing before your unwanted Import)

If everything goes OK, you can make another backup and start working from here.

If something goes wrong, you can still restart from the backup done at the step 1.

The method described above is quite simple, but it may be not useful if you are dealing with a very large number of entries to delete.

An alternative method could be to export all entries and run a macro on the txt file, to identify and remove all items having a particular date.
Another way, only valid if you can use a database, you could import all entries in a database, and execute a filtering and delete operation in the database, then export the remaining entries as a starting point.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-08-17 01:25]

Hikonishi (X)
United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 18, 2006

It woks. Thank you very much.
Hiromi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accidentally Imported TM

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »