Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Error 80005 when trying to open .inx file
Thread poster: Tamara Sinobad
Tamara Sinobad
Tamara Sinobad  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Aug 17, 2006

I have SDL Trados TagEditor 7.1.0.719 (Build 719) and when I try to open an .inx file a client sent me I get the following error

(80005): File not found or not in InDesign CS2 format.

I have no idea what to do. Could someone please help me with this?

Thank you all in advance.
T.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 05:52
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
check with the client... Aug 17, 2006

to see if this is indeed CS2 INX file - could be INX from an earlier version and then one needs to use the story collector.

Plus, does it TRADOS 7.1.x recognize CS2 files - I would assume so but I don't really know off-hand.

Sve najbolje

smo

[Edited at 2006-08-17 11:42]

Tamara Sinobad
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hvala, Vito :) Aug 17, 2006

I asked the client and they think the problem arises because I don't have Adobe InDesign CS2 version 4 installed ( I have CS version 3). They suggest I download the trial version of the software. I am downloading it now but I'm not really sure that'll solve the problem.

T.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Say what? Aug 18, 2006

Tamara Sinobad wrote:

I asked the client and they think the problem arises because I don't have Adobe InDesign CS2 version 4 installed ( I have CS version 3). They suggest I download the trial version of the software. I am downloading it now but I'm not really sure that'll solve the problem.

T.

Wait a minute, you're trying to open an InDesign .inx file in Tageditor, right? A file that was sent to you by the client?

If that is so, it could be the client's version of InDesign that is wrong, but certainly not yours. You don't even have to have ANY version of InDesign installed on your machine.

Regards
Benjamin

P.S.: Vito is on the right track, and yes, Trados 7.1 can process InDesign CS2 files.

[Edited at 2006-08-18 10:06]

Tamara Sinobad
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I know Aug 18, 2006

That's what tageditor is for, right? Can the cause of the problem be their using InDesign for MAC? We've had problems before when they tried converting InDesing files to .pdf, I couldn't open them either...

Regards,
T.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My experience with CS2 InDesign Aug 18, 2006

... is that you don't need InDesign installed to do INX files - having to buy sofware with a stratospheric list price just so that TagEditor would behave, would be a real killer...

In any case, it does not cost you anything but the download time to get a fully functional, time-limited version of InDesign from Adobe. Maybe the client is right. And if not, you can prove them wrong. And earn a laurel or two for going this extra mile.

regards

... See more
... is that you don't need InDesign installed to do INX files - having to buy sofware with a stratospheric list price just so that TagEditor would behave, would be a real killer...

In any case, it does not cost you anything but the download time to get a fully functional, time-limited version of InDesign from Adobe. Maybe the client is right. And if not, you can prove them wrong. And earn a laurel or two for going this extra mile.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-08-18 11:21]
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
OMG Aug 18, 2006

Tamara Sinobad wrote:

That's what tageditor is for, right? Can the cause of the problem be their using InDesign for MAC? We've had problems before when they tried converting InDesing files to .pdf, I couldn't open them either...

Regards,
T.

Oh goodness - if even that doesn't work, somebody's doing something wrong.

Try unstuffing the file with StuffIt Expander.

HTH
Benjamin

Tamara Sinobad
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Downloaded InDesign Aug 18, 2006

and it still doesn't work. I managed to open the file with InDesign but got a report on some 35 bad links (have no idea what that means). Obviously, there's something wrong on their end.

Thanks again and have a great weekend

T.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Well, then... Aug 19, 2006

Now that you have CS2 and can open the file, why don't you just save the file as .inx and try opening that?

The bad links are perfectly normal and no obstacle to translation - these are images linked to the file that were not sent to you along with the main document. Since you don't translate the images, you don't really need them, anyway.

Have a nice weekend, too!
Benjamin

Tamara Sinobad
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried it Aug 19, 2006

I didn't receive the original InDesign file from the client, just the .inx which is the one I managed to open with InDesign. I tried to save it as .inx and open it with tageditor but got the same error...

They said they were trying to solve the problem and in the meantime I am working with the .rtf version of the file.

Thanks

T.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
One last thing to try... Aug 19, 2006

It still doesn't work after you saved the file as .inx in CS2? Weird.

The knowledge base says it could be the Arial font on your system acting up:
http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1655

If that's not it, I give up.

Regards,
Benjamin

Tamara Sinobad
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I apologise Aug 24, 2006

for not replying sooner.

No, this doesn't solve the problem either. The client has given up on this idea and we're back on rtf

Thank you for your help, Benjamin

Regards,
T.

Tamara Sinobad
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do I need SDL Trados 2006? Aug 24, 2006

The client contacted me today and told me that the reason I couldn't open InDesing CS2 files was I didn't have SDL Trados 2006 but Trados 7.1.

Is this true?

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Not true. Aug 24, 2006

Tamara Sinobad wrote:

The client contacted me today and told me that the reason I couldn't open InDesing CS2 files was I didn't have SDL Trados 2006 but Trados 7.1.

Is this true?

No.

I've worked with CS2 .inx files in Trados 7.1 before and it worked just fine.

Regards,
Benjamin

edit: Mind you, that was the LSP edition - I don't know if there's a difference to the freelance version, but I don't think .inx compatibility is one of the differences.

For something slightly, but maybe not entirely, related to your case see:
http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1790

[Edited at 2006-08-24 16:51]

Tamara Sinobad
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Benjamin Aug 24, 2006

I'll let them know.

They want me to upgrade to SDL Trados 2006 just because of this little problem.

Thanks again.
Regards,
T.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error 80005 when trying to open .inx file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »