T6.5 Dongle : using a USB/Parallel adapter?
Thread poster: Mathilde DOMENGET
Mathilde DOMENGET  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:25
English to French
Aug 23, 2006

Hi
I'm using Trados 6.5 with a Parallel dongle. I will now switch to a brand new laptop, with no parallel port and wonder if using a USB/Parallel adapter would be feasible.
SDL say some customers tried it but it didn't work properly - only option being updating to SDL/Trados 2006.
Has anyone had the problem?
Many thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:25
German to English
USB dongle works on my laptop Aug 23, 2006

I have Trados 6.5.x.441 on a 4-year old Dell laptop and it works fine. It even works on an external USB hub plugged into the laptop.

Mathilde DOMENGET  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:25
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround Sep 12, 2006

I found a workaround (thanks to Skatrine, which had a similar issue with SDLX).
A Parallel/USB printer adapter won't work but using a PCMCIA or CardBus card will do the trick.
Such a card will create a SPP/ECP/EPP parallel port on the laptop.
The dongle was not recognised right away though, I had to update the dongle driver from SafeNet (http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp). The dongle type is Sentinel Superpro.
Before installing this download, make sure to uninstall the existing driver. To do so, browse to C:\Program Files\Rainbow Technologies\Sentinel System Driver and double-click on SetupSysDriver.exe. Then select Add/Repair/Remove Installation and remove the driver.
Once the latest driver is installed, the dongle should be recognised.

[Edited at 2006-09-12 10:46]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

T6.5 Dongle : using a USB/Parallel adapter?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search