Possible creating a TM from a previous translation?
Thread poster: Joris Bogaert

Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:27
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 9, 2006

Hello,

I need to translate and update a TM in Trados. I use the freelance 6.5 version. The project is big, and the client gave me 2 acrobat files with original 'source' and 'target' text. I have to use their TM which contains 2 times the 'source' language, so I must work using Tageditor and update it while reading the acrobat files and complete some new parts.

I would like to be able to translate within Tageditor using a TM that collects all the previous translation. Is this possible in some way? I have Trados 6.5 Freelance and Déjà Vu X Pro. I would be a dream!

Acrobat files do not contain any graphics, so I can just copy and past within word both versions. Is there any way of obtaining a TM from it, or is this a mear dream?

Thanks!

Joris

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Sep 9, 2006

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Potential headache Sep 9, 2006

I am not sure I understood your assignment, but to leverage translations from source and target pdfs (assuming you can extract the text), here it goes with Trados:

After copying and pasting source and target in Word, you'll have to format both texts (removing hard line breaks, move around titles that may be out of place, etc.) so that they look "matched" between source and target.
This step might take a very very long time.

Then you run Winalign on both formatted files, hoping that the process will give an output that doesn't require too much editing in Winalign.
This step, if the previous one was carried out as accurately as possible, may be less of a pain. Then you export the project and import it in your TM.

In a nutshell, there is no easy way to know beforehand whether the standard way of completing the assignment manually will be longer than the process outlined above.

Good luck,
Philippe

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:27
English to French
+ ...
Help for removing hard breaks and such Sep 9, 2006

If you don't want to fiddle for hours to remove those nasty breaks from text pasted from PDFs, try this:

http://digital.hollmen.dk/products/autounbreak/index.htm

It automatically removes all hard breaks in an intelligent manner AND preserves the formatting - it uses RTF format for this, so all the formatting is preserved.

I've used it for a long time and it has saved me countless hours of tiresome and boring work.

Have fun!

Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Sep 11, 2006

Thank you, I've tried it out..

It worked, though some 60-70% of the copied and 'unbreaked' text did not align 'automatically' well. I will have to deal with my client before accepting this job... it's less simple than it seemed.

Thanks a lot!

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:27
English to French
+ ...
A trick for AutoUnbreak Sep 22, 2006

Joris, the first time you use this neat little piece of freeware - did I say freeware? - it's not perfect, even if it is close to. There is a way to configure it to your needs or for the particular document you want to use it on and the instructions for this can be found on the site where you downloaded it from. It can really be finetuned - just make sure you learn how to do it and also backup all settings files before editing them.

I encourage you to learn to use it well, this is a great timesaver, and the learning curve is next to none.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-09-22 18:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible creating a TM from a previous translation?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search