Thread poster: Jesus Garrido-Muro
Jesus Garrido-Muro
Jesus Garrido-Muro
Local time: 19:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 12, 2006

Hello everybody,

I use Trados 6.5 and I have been sent automatically generated xml files to translate. I asked for a dtd but it seems they don't know what this is and I wonder if their software creates one during the xml processing. They told me the files were originally created with InDesign but I don't have InDesign. Is there any solution apart from buying InDesign and use StoryCollector to translate the origninal files? Is there any way to create a DTD from the xml documents?
... See more
Hello everybody,

I use Trados 6.5 and I have been sent automatically generated xml files to translate. I asked for a dtd but it seems they don't know what this is and I wonder if their software creates one during the xml processing. They told me the files were originally created with InDesign but I don't have InDesign. Is there any solution apart from buying InDesign and use StoryCollector to translate the origninal files? Is there any way to create a DTD from the xml documents?
Thank you in advance for your help
Regards
Jesús
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
what about InDesign trial version? Sep 12, 2006

you can download a 30days fully functional demo version of Indesign (of course the latest version). But then you can reexport (I assume) via story collector of 6.5

It's quite a drag with all those probably incomaptible versions (CS2 Indesign vs 6.5 Trados...)

regards

Vito

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
create your own .ini with the Wizard Sep 14, 2006

It sounds strange that you get .xml files as exports from InDesign. A normal customer would export to .ISC or .INX.

But anyway, if the customer wants you to deliver plain xml files, you just create your own .ini file, by using the wizard in Tag Editor.

I'm not sure if it's present in 6.5, but check under Tools>Tag Settings>New.

If you walk through the wizard, it will create an .ini for you!

/Jan

Diego Riesco
Diego Riesco
English to Spanish
DTD file to open InDesign CS2 INX files with Trados 6.5 Dec 19, 2006

Does anybody know how can you open a inx files with Trados 6.5 without the proper .ini file?

How do you create your own .ini file using the wizard?

Thank you!

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
7.1 required Jan 10, 2007

diegoriesco wrote:

Does anybody know how can you open a inx files with Trados 6.5 without the proper .ini file?

How do you create your own .ini file using the wizard?

Thank you!

Hi Diego,

You can't. INX is only supported from Trados 7.1 and above.
Technically, you could open it in 6.5, but since Trados can't parse the tags in a sensible way, they will end up corrupted.

Solution: upgrade, it's not that expensive!

Best,

Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translate automatically generated xml files with TagEditor

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »