How many Workbench memory files can be open at the same time?
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:27
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Sep 16, 2006

First of all: I am new to SDL TRADOS. I worked with TRADOS some years ago but I am very rusty. This is the second time I will use TRADOS since I purchased it 3 weeks ago. The outcome of the first time was excellent, by sheer luck or by a miracle, take your pick.

Here is my situation:
Along with the source files, I received two (2) txt files to import, and work with. Of course, the client wants both txt files returned, updated.

Here is my question: Can I have the two memory files open at the same time? If not, what am I supposed to do so the final result is two updated txt files?

Direct link Reply with quote

Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:27
English to Greek
+ ...
Only 1 memory file can be open at a time Sep 16, 2006

Hi Luisa,

You cannot have both memory files open at the same time but it is rather easy to update them both. You translate as usual having open let's say the memory file A. When you finish save the uncleaned document with a different name. Clean the one file having open memory file A, close the A, open the B and clean the copy of your uncleaned translation.

Maybe someone knows another easier way to handle this.

BR,
Dimitra

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 07:27
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Ask your client Sep 16, 2006

I f they do not mind, it will be easier for you to import both txt fles into one TM and return that "merged" one to them after updating it from your translation. As a matter of fact, if they both contain reference materials for your transalation, I would do this in any case for the purposes of working on the translation.

If they agree with that, fine.

If they want to keep the TMs (say, "A" and "B") separate, you can still merge them for your own purposes (as TM "C"); but then, just as described by Dimitra, you can clean the resulting unclean file(s) to each of the orignal TMs ("A" and "B"). By the way, it is a good principle to keep unclean copies of all your work anyway (IMHO) .

HTH
Antonin

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:27
English to Czech
+ ...
How many Workbench memory files can be open at the same time? Sep 16, 2006

Dimitra Karamperi wrote:

You cannot have both memory files open at the same time

Actually, you can, but you would have to use SDLX instead of Trados. In Trados, you will have to merge them into one (or use one as the main memory and the other one only for concordance, which is not very practical).

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:27
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I knew I could trust the people on the other side of the "pond" Sep 16, 2006

Thank you all. I knew I would wake up to find an answer from you guys on the other side of the world.

That was my predicament, that I have to use both files as reference. I will merge them into my own and follow Antonín´s suggestion. Unfortunately, I have to start working on the project and I have no way of contacting the client over the weekend.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many Workbench memory files can be open at the same time?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search