workbench (pre-)translation
Thread poster: nic456
nic456
Local time: 04:49
English to German
+ ...
Sep 21, 2006

Hello!

I hope there is someone who can enlighten me!

I am using Trados 6.0.0.309, Robohelp 2002

1) I segment 2 Robohelp HTML files using Winalign and create a project - fine.

2) I import this project in Workbench - Fine.

3) I can check the translation (TL) memory (TM) is updated by opening the source language html file in tag editor and wanting to translate it - fine.

4) I would like use the pre-translation function in Workbench tools>translate. I add (drag+drop) the source files with
- update TM
- replace terms
TM options>tools tab (DTD settings, default html settings selected)

Idea: by automatically translating the source files again, I get an updated version of the target language files as I also did some proofreading in Winalign.

My alternative: fuzzy translation, but with some tags missing, it takes a dozen of clicks at the very least. I also need to change the length of the segments I had previously changed in Winalign again. Plus I need to clean up each file.

FACT 1
Any htm.ttx file created using the pre-translation function is NOT bilingual, so cleaning them up only renders monolingual files!

FACT 2
I translate a source file as usual, clean it and have a translated version of the file.
If I "pretranslate" the source file again, the htm.ttx file IS bilingual, and I can clean it up to obtain another translated version of the source file.

Any help welcome, and I hope other users will also benefit from a solution.

Thanks a million!

Nic

[Edited at 2006-09-21 13:59]

[Edited at 2006-09-21 14:34]

[Edited at 2006-09-22 12:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
robocop Sep 22, 2006

My alternative: fuzzy translation, but with tags missing, it takes a dozen of clicks at the very least. Plus I need to clean up each file.

FACT 1
Any htm.ttx file created using the pre-translation function is NOT bilingual, so cleaning them up only renders monolingual files!?

FACT 2
I translate a source file as usual, clean it and have a translated version of the file.
If I "pretranslate" the source file again, the htm.ttx file IS bilingual, and I can clean it up to obtain another translated version of the source file.

in winalign you may have exported as plain text; this is the smart thing, only (and because) it gets rid of all tags. esp. a word doc needs this. in html this may explain why your tags have gone.

of course you need to clean up each file (or save target as)

your FACTS are very strange FACTS indeed.

sending robocop to the scrap yard seems a wonderful idea.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

workbench (pre-)translation

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search