TagEditor cannot open RTF-file
Thread poster: Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:35
English to German
+ ...
Sep 30, 2006

I just got a new translation. It was in a word document and then set to be an rtf-file. I am supposed to translate it in TagEditor. I have the TM in workbench and tried to open the file in TagEditor. The screen went blank for ever and then at one point, about 3-4 minutes later it said "Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library- Runtime Error! Programm XXX... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application`s support team for more information.... See more
I just got a new translation. It was in a word document and then set to be an rtf-file. I am supposed to translate it in TagEditor. I have the TM in workbench and tried to open the file in TagEditor. The screen went blank for ever and then at one point, about 3-4 minutes later it said "Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library- Runtime Error! Programm XXX... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application`s support team for more information. After that I couldn`t exit TagEditor anymore. "Programm not responding" It took several efforts to exit and finally I had to turn off the computer because everything else stopped working. This happened several times, I can`t get it to work. I can work in word, but I don`t have concordance in there. It`s a huge file that only needs an update, so large parts will stay.
I worked on a different job this morning and TagEditor worked without problems. In the Trados guide, I found mentioned that rtf-files, that are translated in TagEditor, have to be changed to ttx-files, but that in opening and saving the files TagEditor would transform them by itself. The problem is it doesn`t open the file. I am using SDL Trados 2006 Freelance. Thank you for any help!
Collapse

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 16:35
English to Chinese
Turn to MS website Sep 30, 2006

Click on the following link and try to fix the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307817/en-us

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will first contact outsourcer again. Sep 30, 2006

Shang wrote:

Click on the following link and try to fix the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307817/en-us

Thank you, Shang. I am a little bit reluctant to try this because I thought it is a problem with the file. If my outsourcer confirms that the file has been sent correctly, I will try your method. I appriciate your help anyways.

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
good luck Sep 30, 2006

Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer wrote:

I just got a new translation. It was in a word document and then set to be an rtf-file. I am supposed to translate it in TagEditor. I have the TM in workbench and tried to open the file in TagEditor.

I can work in word, but I don`t have concordance in there.

In the Trados guide, I found mentioned that rtf-files, that are translated in TagEditor, have to be changed to ttx-files, but that in opening and saving the files TagEditor would transform them by itself. The problem is it doesn`t open the file. I am using SDL Trados 2006 Freelance. Thank you for any help!

in a hurry here, so it's basically a telex:

rtf (if it isn't a tagged STF file) is about same as doc. To work in word should be no problem.

You DO have concordance there. We use the same version.

If it's true (as I thinkits is) your rtf is not a tagged rtf, AND
you want to use TagEditor:

perhaps save it first as a .doc (don't know if this is necessary)
then batch translate it USING TTX XMLworkflow for msworddocs
(this is in TM options/tools)
after this it will open in TE.

good luck!

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translating in word with concordance Oct 1, 2006

Saitch, thank you for your suggestion and the hint about concordance. I ended up using word. The supplier didn`t know why TagEditor didn`t work and I just couldn`t spend more time on this. But half way through the word translation, as you had suggested, concordance decided to pop up and it worked fine to the end. I don`t know where it lay dormant during the beginning, but oh well, it worked, and that is all that really matters.
Enjoy the rest of your -almost over- weekend! Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor cannot open RTF-file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »