https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/56442-clean_up_cleaned_document_disappears.html

Clean-up: cleaned document disappears
Thread poster: Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 30, 2006

When I clean a document that I translated with Trados WB, in Word, something strange happens: the cleaned document disappears and only the .BAK file remains in the file list.

Up to now I have worked around this by cleaning up in Wordfast, but now I have 23 documents to clean and I could batch process them in Trados, I thought.

I first put all the (.rtf) files in the list and nothing happened. I then cleaned one document and, as usual, the cleaned version is nowhere to b
... See more
When I clean a document that I translated with Trados WB, in Word, something strange happens: the cleaned document disappears and only the .BAK file remains in the file list.

Up to now I have worked around this by cleaning up in Wordfast, but now I have 23 documents to clean and I could batch process them in Trados, I thought.

I first put all the (.rtf) files in the list and nothing happened. I then cleaned one document and, as usual, the cleaned version is nowhere to be found. I searched the forums and the Trados help but I cannot see what I must (obviously) be doing wrong.

I am working with SDL Trados 2006 and Word 2000.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The filename does not change Sep 30, 2006

If your file is file.rtf, after cleanup you have file.rtf and file.bak. The rtf is the target version of you file. If something else happens I wouldn't know what to do. Are you sure you search in the right folder?
Regards
Heinrich

Anjo Sterringa
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error message in the log file Sep 30, 2006

I found part of the problem:
(-2147467259):
Filter defintions file C:\Archivos de programa\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml could not be located.
File skipped!

How do I get rid of this? I am not working with Trados 6_5 but with the latest version.

It must be really simple, but......

(I cleaned the docs in Wordfast, no problem, but I would like to be able to do it in Trados...)

[Edited at 2006-09-30 12:02]
... See more
I found part of the problem:
(-2147467259):
Filter defintions file C:\Archivos de programa\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml could not be located.
File skipped!

How do I get rid of this? I am not working with Trados 6_5 but with the latest version.

It must be really simple, but......

(I cleaned the docs in Wordfast, no problem, but I would like to be able to do it in Trados...)

[Edited at 2006-09-30 12:02]

I did register this Trados version (actually removed the old version...), otherwise you would not be able to translate in it.
I'm glad I am not the only one thinking this is a mystery. Probably sth to do with filter settings, but which/where?
AS

[Edited at 2006-09-30 20:17]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Perhaps you did not registrate Trados Sep 30, 2006

Always when you change between versions, you have to registrate the actual version, in this case 7.5. There is an entry in the program menu "registrate Trados 7.5".
But I'm only guessing.

[Bearbeitet am 2006-09-30 13:44]

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
search on date and time Sep 30, 2006

Hello Anjo,

This is really strange, but you could try to search on date and time in Windows while making sure you have all files *.* ticked off.

Failing this, what you could do, and of course, nothing will be put in your memory as it would while going through the Workbench cleaning process, is to run the macro in Word as follows: (Rename your file, so you keep the dirty copy for better times ahead) Menu Tools, Macro, scroll down to the middle and select tw4winAdd.Main
... See more
Hello Anjo,

This is really strange, but you could try to search on date and time in Windows while making sure you have all files *.* ticked off.

Failing this, what you could do, and of course, nothing will be put in your memory as it would while going through the Workbench cleaning process, is to run the macro in Word as follows: (Rename your file, so you keep the dirty copy for better times ahead) Menu Tools, Macro, scroll down to the middle and select tw4winAdd.Main and run that (while making sure you are not inside a TU). You will see that you will be left with a squeeky clean document, but alas, no updates in your memory.

Best regards,
Marijke

[Edited at 2006-09-30 16:24]
Collapse

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:24
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Hi Anjo Sep 30, 2006

I had this problem a few months ago, Trados started deleting files during clean-up, and saying the file had been skipped, however, I also received the following error message:

"Trados has thrown an exception". Opening the bak file and cleaning didn't work and I had to resort by cleaning the files using a macro. (press ALT + F8 simultaneously then scroll down the box untili you find Tw4win.Clean.main, then hit run and your file will be cleaned).

I never quite worked ou
... See more
I had this problem a few months ago, Trados started deleting files during clean-up, and saying the file had been skipped, however, I also received the following error message:

"Trados has thrown an exception". Opening the bak file and cleaning didn't work and I had to resort by cleaning the files using a macro. (press ALT + F8 simultaneously then scroll down the box untili you find Tw4win.Clean.main, then hit run and your file will be cleaned).

I never quite worked out if the problem arose due to the fact that the files I was translating at the time were in .rtf rather than .doc format or whether it was down to a tados incompatible windows update (which I have since deleted).

You can find find more info on page 2 of this previous forum post:

http://www.proz.com/topic/49732?start=15&float=

Good luck!

Ivana
Collapse

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:24
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Just one thing, Sep 30, 2006

If you use the trados macro (which is much quicker than the normal process), your TM won't be updated with any amendments you might have made to the document.

Anjo Sterringa
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interference of previous version that I removed? Oct 1, 2006

Viewing the error message, which now ALSO appears when opening a file in Tag-editor (plugin filter definitions not found), I suspect it has something to do with my old Trados 6.5 version which I recently removed....

(-2147467259):
File skipped!

I now submitted the question to SDL/Trados support. I have a premium support agreement although I
... See more
Viewing the error message, which now ALSO appears when opening a file in Tag-editor (plugin filter definitions not found), I suspect it has something to do with my old Trados 6.5 version which I recently removed....

(-2147467259):
File skipped!

I now submitted the question to SDL/Trados support. I have a premium support agreement although I do not remember which one.

Thank you for the suggestion of cleaning files by using the macro - I did not know that existed! Although my workaround by using Wordfast for cleaning also works very well!

[Edited at 2006-10-01 08:38]
Collapse

Jinglebob
Jinglebob
Local time: 23:24
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Sounds like a problem with circular style references Oct 1, 2006

This problem was discussed in one of the forum threads. Read more here: http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1090. A possible workaround is to use the tw4winClean.Main macro.

Anjo Sterringa
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am using trados 7.* Oct 1, 2006

Thank you for your answer, Jinglebob, but I am working with Trados 7.* (not Trados 5.5). It does not seem to be an 'exception' problem, but something to do with an elusive filter file. The result, however, is the same - the uncleaned file is gone.

I am soooo glad I also have Wordfast on such occasions.
(although the other (macro) workaround is probably just as easy!)

Waiting for SDL support to answe
... See more
Thank you for your answer, Jinglebob, but I am working with Trados 7.* (not Trados 5.5). It does not seem to be an 'exception' problem, but something to do with an elusive filter file. The result, however, is the same - the uncleaned file is gone.

I am soooo glad I also have Wordfast on such occasions.
(although the other (macro) workaround is probably just as easy!)

Waiting for SDL support to answer my question now....

Anjo
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some registration problem Oct 2, 2006

This is the answer support sent me this morning:

Please can you try the following:

1. Close all running applications
2. Goto: Start\Programs\SDL International\Trados - and then click on 'Register SDL Trados 2006'
3. Now restart Trados and try again

Please let me know if this helps.

..... and it worked! Even if the software had been registered before and was working ok - I am not going to try to understand it.....

Anjo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clean-up: cleaned document disappears

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »