Cannot import TMX file into Trados
Thread poster: JennyC08

JennyC08
Local time: 09:38
German to French
+ ...
Oct 5, 2006

Hi,
I usually work exclusively with Trados and don't know much about other CAT tools. The translation agency I want to work with have some TMs in the Wordfast format. In order for me to be able to use it, they convert them into TMX using Olifant. I tried to import that file into Trados and get an error "Invalid token...".
I searched in the archives of the forum and found that thread: http://www.proz.com/post/199865.
I tried to follow the instructions, but I still cannot figure it out. Can anyone me with some guidelines?
Thanks a bunch!
Caroline

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 15:38
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
What is the full error message? Oct 5, 2006

Antonin

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
Finnish to French
Olifant can also save as Trados TXT Oct 5, 2006

If the TMX memory generated by Olifant can't be read by Trados, you can also try to save it as Trados TXT. Before opening it in Trados, make sure the language codes in the memory match the codes expected by Trados. If necessary, make the adjustment with a simple find/replace operation (could be for instance that you have FR-FR in your Olifant TM, and Trados expects FR_FR).

JennyC08
Local time: 09:38
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another question Oct 5, 2006

The error message is as follows:

SSLex0105e: Invalid token, Line 1, Offset 1

Thanks Dominique for your answer!
I tried to save the file in txt format (just using the Save as command in Notepad), but it didn't work. I will see if I can correct the language code, but the question I had was what Unicode format shall I save it as? UTF-8?

Thanks again!

Caroline

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
Finnish to French
Save as Trados TXT in *Olifant*! Oct 6, 2006

CarolineC wrote:
I tried to save the file in txt format (just using the Save as command in Notepad), but it didn't work.

Caroline, you have to Save as *Trados TXT* in *Olifant*! It's not the same as saving as TXT in Notepad!
Both TMX and Trados TXT are text files anyway, but not in the same format. I think Trados is more picky with TMX than with Trados TXT, which is why I suggested the latter.

I will see if I can correct the language code, but the question I had was what Unicode format shall I save it as? UTF-8?

If your language pair is EN-FR, I don't think it really matters whether the TM is Unicode or not. I would use whatever Olifant suggests, and change it only if you see strange characters (or question marks instead of special characters) in Trados. But having the right language codes (ie. the codes expected by Trados) is important!
Cheers, Dominique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot import TMX file into Trados

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search