OmegaT vs. Trados
Thread poster: Ania Grajek

Ania Grajek  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:32
German to Polish
+ ...
Oct 23, 2006

I have a small problem, any help from you would be appreciated. I got a job in sgm file format to translate. I used OmegaT for this purpose, as I had to be on my way and did not have Trados on the other computer. Anyways, I translated the files and sent them in sgm format (the target files from OmegaT folder) to the client. Now I have a problem because the client does not see the translation, only the source text and would like to receive this project in .xml file format. Is it possible to convert the files somehow?

[Edited at 2006-10-23 13:09]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:32
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT vs. Trados Oct 23, 2006

Ania,

what is sgm format - SGML format perhaps? Whatever it is, I doubt that OmegaT supports it directly, although it may be possible to handle the files by modifying the segmentation rules. What application do you normally view these files in?

Marc

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A few ideas... Oct 23, 2006

Ania Grajek wrote:
I translated the files and sent them in sgm format (the target files from OmegaT folder) to the client. Now I have a problem because the client does not see the translation.

A similar thing happens with XLIFF files that have not been prepared for translation by a non-XLIFF tool. The file contains only the source text (marked as "source") but no space for the target text -- the idea is that the XLIFF tool would create the target text chunks and add them to the file.

If your file has something that marks every segment as "source" (even if you've translated it), then the client might have opened it in his tool, saw that only the source column has text in it, and without looking further assume that you haven't translated it.

I don't know the SGM format... can you deconfidentialise a piece, upload it and give us a link to it so that we can see?

Ania Grajek  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:32
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Encoding problems Oct 24, 2006

Thank you for your replies, I solved it yesterday - I had no choice but to copy and paste the translation into Tag Editor and now it works. I have another problem though, I hope you could help me - when I saved the target text in a separate sgml file (it says my file's extension is sgm and it is one of the sgml file types, at least this is what Tag Editor says), Polish characters are not displayed properly, something must be wrong with encoding then. Could you please advice me on this one? Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OmegaT vs. Trados

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search