William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:24
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Oct 24, 2006

(using T7/XP/Office XP)

I'm having all sorts of problems saving a .ttx file (original is an .xcl file). All tags are in place, close last segment, dont have any other progs running but file wont save. After a 15 min wait with no saving progress shown on the status bar, trying to do anything results in "not responding". Have to close Tag Editor (and get the you chose a non responsive programme, send/dont send error report window)

A ttx file exists but I cant reopen open
... See more
(using T7/XP/Office XP)

I'm having all sorts of problems saving a .ttx file (original is an .xcl file). All tags are in place, close last segment, dont have any other progs running but file wont save. After a 15 min wait with no saving progress shown on the status bar, trying to do anything results in "not responding". Have to close Tag Editor (and get the you chose a non responsive programme, send/dont send error report window)

A ttx file exists but I cant reopen open it, I get "400007 error reading TTX file. Input ended before all tags were ended. Last segment bla"

I've tried again and again, "save", "save bilingual as" but still the same. Even exported the tm to the other computer and tried on that, but always the same. What can I do?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How big is your file? Oct 24, 2006

Even with a quite fast PC (dual core, 3.4 GHz, 4 GIG RAM) saving an Excel sheet with something about 10k words took me nearly half an hour...

Patience, this might be your solution.

Regards
Jerzy

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
re How big is your file? Oct 24, 2006

Hmmmm, its 112 kb, you might be right, neither PC I'm using is as powerful as your, neither are they ancient. I've never had any probs before tho. I'll try again in the morning.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
what is an xcl file? Oct 25, 2006

honest question. My version of TagEditor (the latest as far as I know) does not know it either.

smo

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 06:24
English to Chinese
split the large original file Oct 25, 2006

If your ttx file converted from Excel or PowerPoint is very large, you can't save it as target language. You have no choice but to split the original file into several parts, such as less than 500 entries for Excel file or 100 pages for PowerPoint one.

If the original is PPT or PPS, this will change links within document.

Shang

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
re: what is an xcl file? Oct 25, 2006

errr, xls, mine was the phonetic version )

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Patience is a virtue, apparently Oct 25, 2006

It was just a case of waiting, thanks to everyone for their help. I'll bear the file splitting idea in mind in the future!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
another idea is... Oct 25, 2006

to translate a csv txt copy of the spreadsheet. In a lot of (my) cases it's just as good and you dont have to bite off your nails and fingers waiting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cant save a ttx file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »