Another incompatible Microsoft Update patch?
Thread poster: David Evans
David Evans
David Evans  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:30
Catalan to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2006

A few months ago, some of us had a problem with Word crashes using Translator's Workbench and solved the problem by removing a Microsoft Update patch for Word 2003. My particular combination is Trados Freelance 6.5 and Word 2003.

Over the last few days I have been experiencing a different problem where a segment will not close and Trados says that it has been damaged. Fixing the document does not help and translating a new version of the same document produces the same result. This
... See more
A few months ago, some of us had a problem with Word crashes using Translator's Workbench and solved the problem by removing a Microsoft Update patch for Word 2003. My particular combination is Trados Freelance 6.5 and Word 2003.

Over the last few days I have been experiencing a different problem where a segment will not close and Trados says that it has been damaged. Fixing the document does not help and translating a new version of the same document produces the same result. This has happened in several documents from different customers.

Given the previous experience, I looked at the most recent Microsoft Update patches installed on my computer and found one for Word 2003 which installed itself around the time I started to experience the problem. I have removed the patch and am no longer experiencing this problem. The patch is KB923094.

However, I am worried about removing supposedly important security patches in order to keep Trados working properly.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
If it works don’t fix it Oct 26, 2006

Hi David,
I’ve stopped updating windows until it starts acting up and this seems to miss out on many bug patches. Turn automatic update off and just install patches you need/want. Hard to tell I know, but like they say, “if it runs, don’t throw a spanner in the works.”

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:30
English to Italian
+ ...
Same here (as Jo) Oct 26, 2006

At around the time of the Service 2 pack release, when many people had problems and had to disinstall it, I happened to read that security patches mostly concern Internet Explorer. Therefore I've switched to another browser and I am not bothering with updates anymore. So far I've had no problems whatsoever.

[Edited at 2006-10-26 11:51]

Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski
Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Seeking advice Oct 26, 2006

Hi everyone,

I am quite new to Trados myself as I've been using SDLX for years. Just started using it recently. I seem to have the same problem with Word crashing. Strange as it is but it only crashes on my desktop with Windows XP Home edition and not on my laptop with XP Professional edition. I checked some of the posts on Proz concerning this issue as well as the SDL support website. It seems that there are two solutions, either removing the Windows security patch or removing sm
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am quite new to Trados myself as I've been using SDLX for years. Just started using it recently. I seem to have the same problem with Word crashing. Strange as it is but it only crashes on my desktop with Windows XP Home edition and not on my laptop with XP Professional edition. I checked some of the posts on Proz concerning this issue as well as the SDL support website. It seems that there are two solutions, either removing the Windows security patch or removing smart tags. I don't know too much about smart tags. So, my question is: which option is better? Removing the patch or the tags? Any experience with that?

Jerry
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:30
English to French
+ ...
My maintenance procedure Oct 26, 2006

I've had problems with updates from Microsoft before, although never the kind you described (I use Word 2000 with Trados 6.5, 7.0 and 7.5).

I fixed the problem by adding a few steps to my maintenance procedure. I set Windows to ask me before downloading updates. I pick the ones I'm interested in (there are many I have never installed despite Microsoft's strong recommendations, particularly those that have to do with malicious software, since my antivirus deals with them and I am pro
... See more
I've had problems with updates from Microsoft before, although never the kind you described (I use Word 2000 with Trados 6.5, 7.0 and 7.5).

I fixed the problem by adding a few steps to my maintenance procedure. I set Windows to ask me before downloading updates. I pick the ones I'm interested in (there are many I have never installed despite Microsoft's strong recommendations, particularly those that have to do with malicious software, since my antivirus deals with them and I am proud to say I have NEVER had any virus, spyware or adware problems EVER). There is an option where you can ask Windows to never propose a specific update again - I always check it for updates I don't download, so Windows stops bothering me with them. Before I update, I create a system restore checkpoint, just in case.

Everything is fine at all times in my computer. The point is that Microsoft sytematically makes stupid programs that are chock full of useless features that make their products unstable - Word 2003 is one of them. The pain! Then, they try to correct their originally faulty products by creating updates for them, all too often. The result of this is that the update fixes a problem - and creates another, for which they then create another update, and so on. It never ends!

My advice is to stick with older programs. It may sound weird at first, but think of it this way: Microsoft wants your money! Therefore, every time they mae a new version of popular software, they add many many new features to them so they have an argument for you to upgrade to the new version. However, these new features are not meant to make your software better, they are meant to bring in the cash for Microsoft. So, it is not surpising that the more recent your version of Word is, the sloppier it is.

All the best!
Collapse

Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski
Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Patch Oct 26, 2006

Just found a patch on SDL Support website. Maybe it will help. Just installed it but have't had the time to check it out. It seems to have been updated just recently.

... See more
Just found a patch on SDL Support website. Maybe it will help. Just installed it but have't had the time to check it out. It seems to have been updated just recently.

http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1797&p_created=1151337896&p_sid=tBPEn4li&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTMzMiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3NjZl9MYW5ndWFnZT0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD13b3JkIHNtYXJ0IHRhZ3M*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Jerry
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another incompatible Microsoft Update patch?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »