Crazy Tag Editor problem, saving an "old version" of a file
Thread poster: William Pairman

William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:04
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Nov 6, 2006

I've got a crazy problem with TE, baffling

Its a bit hard to explain so bear with me

Client sends me a excel file, I open it in TM then find out after doing one or two segments that a lot of it is in Gallego, not Spanish

I delete it and the corresponding ttx file

Client promises to rectify problem and send me a new, all Spanish version, which they do. Open in excel to check and no problem. Its all in Spanish, and a few other minor changes have been made too

However, when I open it in Tag Editor, its the original, half in Gallego version. I've tried changing file names, saving onto a USB stick (under a new name) and working on a different computer, but no joy, its keeps opening up the "old" version

Any ideas???

BTW, I'm using Trados 7 and Office 200 on one PC and Office xp on the other


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:04
English to Czech
+ ...
Hidden cells? Nov 6, 2006

Maybe the document still contains the old text and it's hidden in Excel, but visible in Tag Editor? Try to search for the Spanish text that is visible in Excel - is it there?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 12:04
German
+ ...
Not Hidden Nov 13, 2006

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Maybe the document still contains the old text and it's hidden in Excel, but visible in Tag Editor? Try to search for the Spanish text that is visible in Excel - is it there?


That would be disastrous - we often use the Hide Rows/Columns function to keep text out of tagEditor that does not need translation, yet needs to stay right where it is in the Excel file.

My guess is that the .xls file contains multiple worksheets, one of which was left in the original version and one that contains the updated text for translation.

If that is the case, you can either delete the "old" worksheet or just hide it (which might lead to performance problems, though - depending on the amount of data contained within it.) After that, just re-open the file in TagEditor and work on it as usual.

Let us know if this worked for you.

HTH,
Benjamin


Direct link Reply with quote
 

William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:04
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Nov 13, 2006

[quote]tectranslate wrote:

Hynek Palatin wrote:


My guess is that the .xls file contains multiple worksheets, one of which was left in the original version and one that contains the updated text for translation.

If that is the case, you can either delete the "old" worksheet



Thats exactly what the problem was, and exactly what I did! Took me ages to suss it out tho!

Many thanks to all


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Crazy Tag Editor problem, saving an "old version" of a file

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search