Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 10, 2006

Dear colleagues,

Is anyone known where a plug-in is for Quarkxpress 7? I can find only the plugins for 4.0 and 6.X. What about 7.0?
In fact, Quarkxpress 7 is later than Trados 2006 FL, so the old plugins can not be used in Quarkxpress 7.
How to export a tagged text from QuarkXPress 7 to translate in Tageditor?

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,
Han Li

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:25
English to Swedish
+ ...
Did you try the plugin? Nov 10, 2006

Hi!

The Trados guide specifically says about Quark:
If you have a version later than 6.0, use the files in the 6.0_E folder.

Did you actually try the plugin for Quark 6, or you've just assumed that it doesn't work?

Read more here:
ftp://download.trados.com/doc/english/T7FileFormatsRef_en.zip

Best,
... See more
Hi!

The Trados guide specifically says about Quark:
If you have a version later than 6.0, use the files in the 6.0_E folder.

Did you actually try the plugin for Quark 6, or you've just assumed that it doesn't work?

Read more here:
ftp://download.trados.com/doc/english/T7FileFormatsRef_en.zip

Best,

Jan
Collapse

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the files in the 6.0_E folder can not work in Quarkxpress 7 Nov 12, 2006

Thanks Jan!
I have tried to use the plug-in for 6.x, but it cannot work.
Is anyone having good ideas?

Regards,
Han Li

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
These questions always baffle me Nov 13, 2006

This is a question that can only be answered by the SDL company itself.

I asked them about Trados compatibility with Quark Xpress 7 recently and they told me this:
- The old (6.x) plugin does not work with Quark 7.
- They know there is a new version of the StoryCollector plugin necessary and are working on it.
- They could not tell me when it would be available.

So, your best solution right now would be to ask the client to save the file(s) in Quark 6
... See more
This is a question that can only be answered by the SDL company itself.

I asked them about Trados compatibility with Quark Xpress 7 recently and they told me this:
- The old (6.x) plugin does not work with Quark 7.
- They know there is a new version of the StoryCollector plugin necessary and are working on it.
- They could not tell me when it would be available.

So, your best solution right now would be to ask the client to save the file(s) in Quark 6 format.

Alternatively, there is one third-party program available that will do the trick, and that is CopyFlow for Quark 7 on the Macintosh computer. But that is expensive and doesn't work with Quark for PC.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: I'm guessing they're holding up the release of the new Story Collector until the launch of SDL Trados 8.0/2007. To make people want to buy it...
Collapse

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
QuarkXPress Mac vs. PC Nov 13, 2006

An additional note:
Please make sure to process Mac QuarkXPress files only with QuarkXPress for Mac and not with QuarkXPress and Story Collector for PC. Mac QuarkXPress files tend to get corrupted if they were converted from Mac to PC and back to Mac. Ignoring this can result in serious problems when the files have to be finalized on the Mac. Just to mention two major problems: Graphics and fonts - fonts especially when it comes to "non-western" languages (i.e. all CE, baltic, cyrillic, gr
... See more
An additional note:
Please make sure to process Mac QuarkXPress files only with QuarkXPress for Mac and not with QuarkXPress and Story Collector for PC. Mac QuarkXPress files tend to get corrupted if they were converted from Mac to PC and back to Mac. Ignoring this can result in serious problems when the files have to be finalized on the Mac. Just to mention two major problems: Graphics and fonts - fonts especially when it comes to "non-western" languages (i.e. all CE, baltic, cyrillic, greek and turkish languages).
The golden rule is: Process PC Quark on PC and Mac Quark on Mac.

Best,
*Stefan.
Collapse

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 13, 2006

Thank you for your answer, Benjamin!

We are expecting Trados to make the new version of the StoryCollector plugin. But I don't think it's a good tactic to release the new Story Collector with SDL Trados 8.0/2007.
They should release it as a patch.
We are not only buy the software, but also the service. The Microsoft software is not good enough, but their service is good. A good company should give the best service to their clients.

Regards,
Han
... See more
Thank you for your answer, Benjamin!

We are expecting Trados to make the new version of the StoryCollector plugin. But I don't think it's a good tactic to release the new Story Collector with SDL Trados 8.0/2007.
They should release it as a patch.
We are not only buy the software, but also the service. The Microsoft software is not good enough, but their service is good. A good company should give the best service to their clients.

Regards,
Han

[Edited at 2006-11-13 14:25]

[Edited at 2006-11-13 14:30]
Collapse

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 13, 2006

Stefan Gentz wrote:

An additional note:
Please make sure to process Mac QuarkXPress files only with QuarkXPress for Mac and not with QuarkXPress and Story Collector for PC. Mac QuarkXPress files tend to get corrupted if they were converted from Mac to PC and back to Mac. Ignoring this can result in serious problems when the files have to be finalized on the Mac. Just to mention two major problems: Graphics and fonts - fonts especially when it comes to "non-western" languages (i.e. all CE, baltic, cyrillic, greek and turkish languages).

Best,
*Stefan.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Stefan!

Best,
Han

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Rule of thumb, Quark 7 & OpenType Nov 13, 2006

Stefan Gentz wrote:

An additional note:

Best,
*Stefan.

Well, I think that, yes, processing Mac files on a PC can lead to problems, especially when the target language uses foreign codepages. This specific problem is supposedly fixed in Quark 7 due to the finally complete OpenType compatibility (which is indeed a major sales point).

I have also heard about strange graphics problems, but then again, a properly prepared Quark file is usually made so the graphics are linked instead of embedded, thus preventing the problem.

Therefore, I guess it is sound advice to be aware of these possible problems and to weigh against each other the risks mentioned above and the benefits (i.e. using an available and thus cost-neutral Story Collector to translate using Trados instead of having to buy third-party software from Napsys or whomever) before working with Mac Quark files on a PC.

I would not, however, go as far as to say it should be avoided like the plague. We successfully completed several projects of this type in the past, including translations into Russian.

Anyway, those are my two cents.

B

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is very useful to me! Nov 14, 2006

tectranslate wrote:
Well, I think that, yes, processing Mac files on a PC can lead to problems, especially when the target language uses foreign codepages. This specific problem is supposedly fixed in Quark 7 due to the finally complete OpenType compatibility (which is indeed a major sales point).

I have also heard about strange graphics problems, but then again, a properly prepared Quark file is usually made so the graphics are linked instead of embedded, thus preventing the problem.

Therefore, I guess it is sound advice to be aware of these possible problems and to weigh against each other the risks mentioned above and the benefits (i.e. using an available and thus cost-neutral Story Collector to translate using Trados instead of having to buy third-party software from Napsys or whomever) before working with Mac Quark files on a PC.

I would not, however, go as far as to say it should be avoided like the plague. We successfully completed several projects of this type in the past, including translations into Russian.

Anyway, those are my two cents.

B

Thanks again ……
So, if we translate Quark files with Trados 7.5, it's not a good selection to buy Quarkxpress 7. We have to wait……

Best wishes,
Han

Rimas Balsys
Rimas Balsys  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:25
French to English
Can you not save Quark 7 as a prior version? Nov 27, 2006

Han Li wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Is anyone known where a plug-in is for Quarkxpress 7? I can find only the plugins for 4.0 and 6.X. What about 7.0?
In fact, Quarkxpress 7 is later than Trados 2006 FL, so the old plugins can not be used in Quarkxpress 7.
How to export a tagged text from QuarkXPress 7 to translate in Tageditor?

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,
Han Li

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Of course. Nov 27, 2006

tectranslate wrote:

...So, your best solution right now would be to ask the client to save the file(s) in Quark 6 format.

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Rimas Nov 29, 2006

The problem is the story collector for QuarkXPress facilitates is only used in 6.x or earlier verision. The function of the story collector is export a tagged text (*.QSC) from QuarkXpress so that we can translate the tagged text in Tageditor. So it's no use to save Quark 7 as a prior version. We now have to use QuarkXpress 6.X or earlier version and the corresponding story collector to export QSC file.

A4 TRADUCTION
A4 TRADUCTION
France
English to French
+ ...
Quark 6.0 mac files in Trados ? Jan 19, 2007

Hello,

Does anyone know what is the best way (if any) to process Quark 6 for Mac files into Trados ?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
For QXP 6/6.5 use SDLXtract Jan 19, 2007

You can download it from the SDL Support Page. Works very good.

Regards
Jerzy

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
3 possibilities Jan 19, 2007

Hugues Mantoux wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know what is the best way (if any) to process Quark 6 for Mac files into Trados ?

Sure - there are three ways that I know of :
1. Use CopyFlow with Quark for Mac. Note that this program is not freeware, so you might have to spend some money.
2. Use SDLXtract with Quark for Mac. This tool used to be downloadable for free from the SDL website - maybe it still is. Otherwise, the friendly colleagues around here may be able to provide it. *THANKS JERZY *
3. Use StoryCollector with Quark for PC and only do the post-formatting on the Mac. We are currently in the process of translating and post-formatting a 100-page catalogue into several languages for one of our clients this way. And for the Western languages, this worked just fine with StoryCollector - even Stefan Gentz will probably concede that.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2007-01-19 11:55]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quarkxpress 7 and Trados 2006 FL

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »