Thread poster: Katarina Gabris
Katarina Gabris
Katarina Gabris
Slovakia
Local time: 02:13
Slovak to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2006

Hi, could someone try to help me please?
I have SDL Trados 7 and when I was translating a document yesterday, I messed up something and the programme does not wok correctly. Now, when I open a segment to translate it, it shows all of the pink Trados marks and when I translate it and close the segment, I can see the whole Trados coding - the pink marks with the original text and the translated text. As if you had the Show/Hide Paragraph in Word on, but it's off. I even reinstalled the progr
... See more
I have SDL Trados 7 and when I was translating a document yesterday, I messed up something and the programme does not wok correctly. Now, when I open a segment to translate it, it shows all of the pink Trados marks and when I translate it and close the segment, I can see the whole Trados coding - the pink marks with the original text and the translated text. As if you had the Show/Hide Paragraph in Word on, but it's off. I even reinstalled the programme, but it did not help. Does anyone have experience with this kind of problem? Thank you. Kat
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
It's not a bug, it's a feature :-) Nov 11, 2006

First of all, you can toggle this display on/off by checking/unchecking "Hidden text" in Tool-Options-View

Second, it is highly recommendable to leave it on while translating. It may take some time to get used to it, but the risk of deleting something important by accident is quite high otherwise.

Antonin

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:13
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Is "Hidden text" Nov 11, 2006

in Word>Tools>Options>View unchecked in your Word?

Anyway- where's exactly is the problem- after cleanup all the Trados marks will be removed automatically, and while you are translating, you are dealing with open segments only, so it doesn't matter much (except from esthetic point of view) what's on your screen before and after the open translation segment you're working with. Or am I missing something?

Uldis

kvrabelova wrote:

I have SDL Trados 7 and when I was translating a document yesterday, I messed up something and the programme does not wok correctly. Now, when I open a segment to translate it, it shows all of the pink Trados marks and when I translate it and close the segment, I can see the whole Trados coding - the pink marks with the original text and the translated text. As if you had the Show/Hide Paragraph in Word on, but it's off. I even reinstalled the programme, but it did not help. Does anyone have experience with this kind of problem? Thank you. Kat

Katarina Gabris
Katarina Gabris
Slovakia
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 11, 2006

Antonin and Uldis,

thank you so much. Maybe you are right and when it's on I won't delete any of the marks accidentaly, but it really bothers me and it makes reading the text quite dificult So I will just keep the text hidden and set the tag protection on

Vdaka velka prevelika... See more
Antonin and Uldis,

thank you so much. Maybe you are right and when it's on I won't delete any of the marks accidentaly, but it really bothers me and it makes reading the text quite dificult So I will just keep the text hidden and set the tag protection on

Vdaka velka prevelika

katka
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:13
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
You should not Nov 11, 2006

even touch any text anywhere outside the lower of the two open translation segment boxes (at least until you are experienced enough), as this may corrupt the tags and create a huge mess.

If you need to correct some segment you have already translated, close the currently open one, click your cursor in the correctable one, then click the "open/get" button in the Word Trados toolbar, it will open the already done segment once again and then you can do your changes in the open segment-
... See more
even touch any text anywhere outside the lower of the two open translation segment boxes (at least until you are experienced enough), as this may corrupt the tags and create a huge mess.

If you need to correct some segment you have already translated, close the currently open one, click your cursor in the correctable one, then click the "open/get" button in the Word Trados toolbar, it will open the already done segment once again and then you can do your changes in the open segment- without risking too much to corrupt the tags (though you can (or rather Trados sometimes tends) corrupt them even in this way). But anyway, it's so much safer than correcting anything outside the open segment.

Uldis

kvrabelova wrote:

Antonin and Uldis,

Vdaka velka prevelika

katka

[Rediģēts plkst. 2006-11-11 18:24]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados problem - won't hide the Trados marks

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »