Thread poster: Judy Rojas

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 15, 2006

Hi:
One of my clients has chosen to implement SDL Synergy for his projects. As I understand it, the client would hold the Translation Memories and we would have to work "on-line".

My main concern is that I have experience in working on-line with Logoport, and sometimes translation becomes very slow because of server use.

Can anyone give me his/her opinion on experience working with this tool? I really would appreciate it.
Regards,
Ricardo

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:27
German to English
+ ...
Has anyone worked with SDL Synergy? Nov 16, 2006

My advice:

If the system expects you to send each sentence off one by one without giving you the chance to check through the whole document first, don't do it.

If you are not left with a final copy of your translation, don't do it.

If you are not left with a translation memory for your text, don't do it.

If the system slows you down compared to the way you normally work, charge correspondly more.

I have heard of people having to use such systems who have resorted to producing their translations in the normal way, then entering them sentence by sentence into the system. A complete waste of time. It's your decision, though.

Marc

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Synergy supports offline use Nov 16, 2006

Hi all,

i recently attended a live presentation by SDL.

Synergy supports offline packages. I.e. the agency has the choice to send you a zip with the source+TM, which you can translate in the freelance software that can be downloaded for free.

For online use, it's all depending on the bandwidth of the agency. There's no way anyone else can tell whether Synergy is fast/slow/too slow/a waste of time based on this. YMMV...

/Jan

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Some more details Nov 16, 2006

Hi Ricardo,
Not strictly an answer to your question - I'm cross-posting some details which Daniel Brockmann (SDL Trados) provided on TW_Users:

With Synergy it is possible to sequence any number of TMs during the pre-translation step. That is, when a project is prepared, any number of (file- and server-based) TMs can be used in sequence to pre-translate the TTX files and to create the project TM that then contains relevant matches from all the TMs used in the pretranslation. However, during the actual translation step, Workbench does not support more than two TMs for Concordance searching; this feature has not changed with respect to SDL Trados 2006.

Synergy supports both TM Server and traditional file-based TMs. This means you can implement an online workflow where all project participants working on Synergy project packages can connect to a central TM Server if desired. Alternatively you can implement a more "offline" workflow whereby you use file-based TMs. In that case, the project TM included in the project packages sent to the translators will contain all relevant matches for the translation step, and translators will be using a local file-based TM.

Both scenarios can be combined with the project tracking feature mentioned by Walter yesterday where it's possible (if desired) to monitor the progress of a translation project more closely than is currently possible.

So in summary Synergy can be used in a number of different online/offline scenarios depending on the requirements of the translation project. Typically most translation projects are online given that this has a number of benefits (centralisation of TMs, every project participant immediately benefits from the work of others etc.).

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:27
English to Spanish
is this the same as SDL workflow? Nov 17, 2006

Hello

I have worked in a company that used SDL workflow. Locally, in our computers, we used SDLX. The way it worked resembled very closely what has just been quoted, not sure if Synergy is the new name for this management package.

In any case, as far as SDL workflow is concerned, I would not recommend to work directly on-line, exactly for the reason mentioned in one of the post, it can be very slow, depending on how busy the server is. The system was very user friendly though, and any authorised translator could download the relevant last version of the TM, then download the bilingual file of the translation to be done and work offline. Once finished, the final bilingual file can be uploaded into Worflow and the whole thing can be sent to the next stage of the process.

Regards,

Marta

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it so important to keep a copy of documents and tm for yourself? Nov 21, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:
If you are not left with a final copy of your translation, don't do it.

If you are not left with a translation memory for your text, don't do it.

Much as I agree with your other points, I don't think the two above are really reasons against online systems because they could still apply to normal projects.

In some projects in the past I have had to work at the customer's premises and, in the end, I didn't have a final copy of my translation (the word files were stored in the customer's PC) nor any translation memory (again, this was in the customer's server).

Daniel

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Could be a waste of time Nov 25, 2006

Jan Sundström wrote:

For online use, it's all depending on the bandwidth of the agency. There's no way anyone else can tell whether Synergy is fast/slow/too slow/a waste of time based on this. YMMV...

/Jan

If this system slows you down compared to your normal work flow, it could be a waste of time. Systems like this does not normally favour the translator. The reason for development is, as we all know, in most cases to reduce costs on the agency side, the side that actually buys these kinds of systems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone worked with SDL Synergy?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search