TRADOS frequent error (runtime error '5')
Thread poster: Mayday Girl
Mayday Girl
English to Portuguese
Dec 2, 2006

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right category (of the forum) in which I should post this topic, but anyway, I've been using TRados for months and I keep making the same mistake: writing in th source segment (the blue one)... Then the following message comes up: Run-time error '5' invalid procedure call or argument. This means I can't close the segment, switch to another one and the whole work is ruined! It had happened several times and I had simply ignored it 'cause it was no big work, but now, it is something relatively important, so... What should I do?
Thanks!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-12-03 07:41]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:26
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What version of Trados? Word-environment? Dec 3, 2006

AFAIR this error appears only when working in Word.
If so, try to recreate your Normal.dot (as it is likely, that your original one is corrupted) and also recreate the Trados*.dot by copying it from Trados installation folder into Word startup folder.
Do you have Acrobat or other active templates in Word? If yes, also those might interact with Trados. Especially the templates for Acrobat and OCR do interact with Trados template.

Regards
Jerzy

Mayday Girl
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Version and environment Dec 3, 2006

Sorry, yes I'm using Word with the trados workbench and it is the Trados 7 Freelance.

Mayday Girl
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Recreating? Dec 3, 2006

Another question: I'm afraid I don't quite know how recreating the document is done... Could you please give more details? Thank you for your time.

Diarmuid Kennan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 01:26
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Fix document Dec 3, 2006

I am releatively inexperienced with Trados, but have you tried clicking Trados on the toolbar in word, then clicking 'fix document'...this should close the segment.

Mayday Girl
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Guess what? It works Dec 3, 2006

Well, I've just tried it and it worked! I didn't think it was that easy, 'cause I once worked in a company where I was told that everything would be ruined if I touched the source segment... so... Thanks anyway, it worked so far.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:26
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Recreating Normal.dot Dec 3, 2006

To do so, you first need to locate your Normal.dot.
It is usually located in c:\documents and settings\currentu user\application data\microsoft\templates
You can also ask Word for the location.
Once located rename it to something like Normal.do_ or similar (note, that you will be able to do so only when Word is not running).
Restart Word - it will create a new Normal.dot, when closed.
If you have had any auto texts in your Normal.dot, you can copy them into the new one. On how to do so please refer to Word help (ask for "organising or copying auto text").
To recreate Trados template simply copy the Trados7.dot from Trados installation folder to Word startup folder (usually c:\documents and settings\currentu user\application data\microsoft\word\startup).

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS frequent error (runtime error '5')

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search