open trados 7 TM in version 6.5?
Thread poster: Laurens Landkroon

Laurens Landkroon  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 14, 2006

Is it just my mistake or does trados 6.5 not support opening TM made with version 7
(does make sense, but I hope that anyone can help me out .......)

Thanks for your effort!

Laurens.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:01
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Cannot be done Dec 14, 2006

Trados itself says it cannot be done (if I remember correctly, because some initial strings in Trados 7 TM are different- includes support of more encodings).

However on one occasion I managed to do it by exporting the TM to Notepad and in Notepad substituting the initial part, containing all this encoding information, with the like part I copied from some *.txt exported 6.5 TM (for the same language pair, of course). It generally worked, though there were some tag problems.

Uldis

Laurens Landkroon wrote:

Is it just my mistake or does trados 6.5 not support opening TM made with version 7
(does make sense, but I hope that anyone can help me out .......)

Thanks for your effort!

Laurens.

MTG_tlumaczenia
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
i'm afraid it is so. Dec 14, 2006

although when I had a problem like that an agency delivered tm in 6.5-compatible form and pretty fast. so, I think they had some way to transform it.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What you need is a txt or tmx export Dec 14, 2006

When exporting from Trados 7 one should choose "Translator's Workbench 2-6", as otherwise you will not be able to import it with WB 6.5.

Regards
Jerzy

Laurens Landkroon  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem (almost)solved: Thanks !! Dec 14, 2006

I've already spoken to the client, she will send me an export file that I can open with my version (I expect she's done what Jerzy said in his message).

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Laurens.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

open trados 7 TM in version 6.5?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search