Trados: local font problem in MS Word
Thread poster: allmyloving
allmyloving
Local time: 07:39
English to Korean
Dec 15, 2006

I'm using Trados Freelance 7.5 for Eng-Kor translation. Generally I apply the font 'Gulim' for all contents and had got no problems before then. However, I guess something happened to my MS Word or Trados. When I open the segment with Get('(' mark) menu, the font is automatically changed to 'Times New Roman' again and the Korean words are broken when the segment is closed.
I have no such problems in TagEditor. Only in MS Word. How can I solve the problem? Thanks a lot for your kind help in advance. Cheers!

Direct link Reply with quote

Cavigioli Anita
Local time: 00:09
English
+ ...
Font Dec 15, 2006

I suggest you delete Normal.dot file.
When you run Ms-Word a new Normal.dot template will be created.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not delete the Normal.dot Dec 15, 2006

This is not what is causing your format change.
Please sarcj this forum for "font change" or "styles" and you will find numerous discussions about font changes in Word.

In general the font in your document is most probably set to TNR in document styles. You are changing it locally to your Korean font, but when translating Word restores the original formatting. This is more a feature than a bug.
As Tageditor does not work with fonts, but with tagged text, this will never happen there.
So you have two possibilites:
1) Adapt the document formatting in Word to the font you need.
2) Use Tageditor.

But even if you adapt the formatting some changes may still occur, so I would strongly recommend using of Tageditor.

Regards
Jerzy

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:09
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
I have encountered the same problem Dec 15, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

I am very new to SDL Trados 2006 - I have actually worked with it only once using tageditor without a problem. I nave encountered a problem with Greek in the workbench. I tried opening the file in tageditor and again the Greek was jibberish.

Any ideas?

TIA
Lina

Actually it has just occurred to me that the file I opened in tageditor was the one that had the problem in workbench, so maybe it transferred the problem in tageditor - but I am still at a loss

L.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is almost always connected with styles and formatting Dec 15, 2006

So please use the search function in this forum and look for "font changes" or "styles" - you will find a lot of different tipps and solutions.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: local font problem in MS Word

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search