SDL Trados 2006 - TagEditor freezing
Thread poster: Andy Bell

Andy Bell  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:37
Member (2002)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Dec 23, 2006

Dear colleagues, every time I try to save a file (even post TWB translate but pre-edit) in TagEditor, the program simply locks up. At that point I cannot have corrupted any TU's or Tags so why does it do this? I'm mid-job so I'd really appreciate any help.
TIA
Andy Bell

Direct link Reply with quote

David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
French to English
+ ...
Trados list Dec 23, 2006

every time I try to save a file (even post TWB translate but pre-edit) in TagEditor, the program simply locks up. At that point I cannot have corrupted any TU's or Tags so why does it do this? I'm mid-job so I'd really appreciate any help.

There may not be too many people around to help you at this time of the year. If you don't have any luck here, you could try the Yahoo Trados list.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/38082

David Turner

Member (2002)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quiet Dec 23, 2006

Hi David. Nope, I've tried TW_Users (was already a member) but they're equally quiet - or the moderator's enjoying a wee dram!
Fingers crossed someone will give me some pointers otherwise I'll have to have a rethink.
Thanks anyway.
Best
Andy

Rafal Piasta  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Verify the file please Dec 23, 2006

I had a problem with saving the file and the solution was to start verify option and next find out especially errors of 1 class. When I complited all missing tags for class 1 errors every thing went ok and I could save the file. Try this please. I do by best to help you but I am not an expert in TRADOS just have some experience from my previous work. Merry Xmas
Rafal

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Try TTXpress? Dec 23, 2006

With this utility, you can supposedly open TagEditor (.ttx) files in Word. Haven't tried it myself though. Good luck!

http://www.terminologymatters.com/macros.html

David Turner

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"every time I try to save a file..., the program...locks up" Dec 23, 2006

I dont know how much time you have, but I would try with a different file to see first of all, is it a file or TagEditor.

If it is a file, I would look closely at its size, contents etc.

And if it is TagEditor, phew... as the Love Story theme start "where shall I begin..."

Regards and keep us posted

smo

Member (2002)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sick file! Dec 23, 2006

Hi Rafael. Thanks for the tip but verify is greyed out on this file. Look further down for my response to Smole for my next action.

Member (2002)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 23, 2006

Hi David. Thanks again for the tip. I've got TTXExpress - it is useful for working in Trados Tag files in another CAT tool - Wordfast for example - and then converting them back to Trados format, however it doesn't work in this instance. I've opened a previous Tag file from the same customer and it saved immediately with no problems. I'm pretty convinced this is a duff file - or at least that it has some problem or another so will contact the customer - who I suspect won't be around until after Christmas - unlike my helpful colleagues.
Thanks.
Andy

Member (2002)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Duff file! Dec 23, 2006

Hi Vito. Nice tip. I never thought to try another Tag tile - although that's the obvious solution I see now. The other file saved instantly using the same TWB TM too. I'd also tried working on the Word file sent by the client but that misbehaved in both Trados and Wordfast - that should have rung alarm bells.
Anyway, thanks for preventing me wasting more time trying to work on this file. Happy Christmas.
Best
Andy Bell

[Edited at 2006-12-23 22:27]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
what you can do in return... Dec 23, 2006

is identify what's wrong with the file you fought with, like

i) size
ii) pictures inclued
ii) strange tags

etc

so we can avoid/identify this kind of s*t in the future.

Regards and stay on the band

smo

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
If verify option is gray (inactive) Dec 24, 2006

cilck "restore source". You may not be in an interpreting mode try it please

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
before saving Dec 24, 2006

you should "restore source" when you are in translating mode (colourful lines should be closed)
regards,
rafal

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 17:37
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I think the problem is simple Dec 30, 2006

If the file you worked in TagEditor is somewhat bigger than a couple of pages (say, over some 1000 words, or even big, say, some 10 000 words) it might take even a couple of minutes till it gets saved when you make "Save As". When I started to work with TagEditor, I always tried to understand what it is all about (when I had 256 RAM). Now upgraded into 512 RAM, and these couple of minutes became only a dozen of seconds for bigger files. And opening review mode (after editing mode) still takes minutes and hooks up the computer sometimes.

Hope it is the case and that my "smart" advice is to the topic and your problem.

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 17:37
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Dec 30, 2006

[Edited at 2006-12-30 01:31]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2006 - TagEditor freezing

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search