Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:22
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 29, 2006

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with Multiterm. I am working with Word 2003 and have created some entries in Multiterm (7) through word. Now, when I want to add something in Multiterm directly (e.g. a synonym) I can edit but when I want to save, I get "unknown error" message.

Is there any possibility in changing entries one has made through word?

Thanks a lot!

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
changing entries in MultiTerm Dec 30, 2006

Is there any possibility in changing entries one has made through word?

I would start with "unknown error": to elliminate it, I would create from fresh a new version of the Termbase as follows:

i) export all records using Export function in MultiTerm
ii) create a new dictionary for the same language combination
iii) import the exported material

You can change the entries in MultiTerm. However, it is not very obvious how to do it. Let's say you want to edit Stadt / Town pair and change Town to City (for the argument's sake). It took me months to figure out how to do that: you need to click a little to the left of Town, so that the font size changes (to smaller). Then you can enter the new contents - and then dont forget to press Enter so that font changes back to the bigger size

Of course this does not mean you have to fight THIS problem - but eventually more or less everybody steps and falls on this banana peel.

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
apparently Dec 30, 2006

I am not the only one who has this problem?

I must admit that if this is the only manner of being able to change entries in Multiterm (by the way this would mean I would have to create thousands of new termbases for everytime I want to add a synonym or a new definition or something) this would definitely be a reason for me to change to another CAT!

I am sorry, Vitomir, but you can not be serious about this...there has to be another way, don't you think so?

Dear Collegues... I know it's the end of the year and some of you are on holidays but those of you who follow my post, please help!

Additionally I am actually looking for Terminology-Software to recommend to a client, so this can also be decisive...because if this doesn't work, Multiterm seems to be rather unhelpful, don't you agree?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Happy new year to everybody!

Leena

PS I can not believe this...

PPS. Vitomir, I did not understand your way of chenging entries. clicking to the left of the term, font size changes - are you in the edit-mode of the entry there?
I can edit the entries, alright, but I can not save them (F10)

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados KB article 1385 Dec 30, 2006

Hi Leena,
Have a look at KB article 1385.

Another possible cause may be in the database elements (such as attribute fields etc.) - these should not contain any special characters.

HTH, Ralf

Dmitry Belyaev
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:22
English to Russian
A rather simplified version of the solution suggested above Feb 23, 2007

I was also unable to find out what causes this 'unknown error'. However, I came across a simple workaround to this issue.

Right-click in the entry tab and choose "Add copy". A copy of the entry shall appear, and you will be able to make any changes to it. After you finish editing this new term, save it and delete the original entry from your MT base.

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 23, 2007

Dmitri,

this is what I did in the end. And meanwhile the problem seems to be resolved... I can work normally with Trados, Word and Multiterm.

But thanks for the idea!

A nice week-end to all of you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

unknown error - Multiterm cannot edit entry made through word-interface

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search