SDLX - segment formatting discrepancy
Thread poster: Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 20:06
English to German
+ ...
Dec 30, 2006

I am translating in SDLX a French piece, which has in the source segment 1er Septembre 2006. In that the -er is lifted, as often -rst or -nd are in English. For that reason the -er is highlighted pink in the source.
On translating in target to DE I have no use for anything else behind 1 than a dot > 1. September 2006.

With the result that depending on whether I delete first and translate then, or translate first or delete then, I have either three coloured bars with a little a
... See more
I am translating in SDLX a French piece, which has in the source segment 1er Septembre 2006. In that the -er is lifted, as often -rst or -nd are in English. For that reason the -er is highlighted pink in the source.
On translating in target to DE I have no use for anything else behind 1 than a dot > 1. September 2006.

With the result that depending on whether I delete first and translate then, or translate first or delete then, I have either three coloured bars with a little arrow at the beginning or two coloured bars with a little arrow at the end. And the source segment is marked green - to indicate a formatting incongruity between source and target.

And I do not see a remedy to this.

Anyone an idea to spare?

[Edited at 2006-12-30 00:24]
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:06
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Formatting can be deleted from target segment Dec 30, 2006

You can delete the formatting from the target segment by doing the following:

- Go into Formatting mode (by clicking the format paint brush in the tool bar).
- Select the obsolete formatting in the SOURCE segment (in your case by clicking on the coloured "er").
- Press Delete on the keyboard.
-The formatting will then disappear from the TARGET segment.

Note that the segment will still be marked as "Format painting needed", ie. every time you save the
... See more
You can delete the formatting from the target segment by doing the following:

- Go into Formatting mode (by clicking the format paint brush in the tool bar).
- Select the obsolete formatting in the SOURCE segment (in your case by clicking on the coloured "er").
- Press Delete on the keyboard.
-The formatting will then disappear from the TARGET segment.

Note that the segment will still be marked as "Format painting needed", ie. every time you save the file you will get a message saying that the segment still requires format painting, but you can just ignore this and save anyway.

[Edited at 2006-12-30 09:42]
Collapse

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 20:06
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Thomas. Dec 30, 2006

-

[Edited at 2006-12-30 23:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX - segment formatting discrepancy

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »