Thread poster: Lagom
Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:48
Swedish to English
Jan 2, 2007

Hi,

I am no longer able to open a TM that I am working with and instead keep getting this error:

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x334 (820), Thread id=0x448 (1096).

Click OK to terminate this application.
Click CANCEL to debug this application.

Please can advise me on how to resolve this problem or extract the data from the TM (crashes before I can export from the menu)so t
... See more
Hi,

I am no longer able to open a TM that I am working with and instead keep getting this error:

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x334 (820), Thread id=0x448 (1096).

Click OK to terminate this application.
Click CANCEL to debug this application.

Please can advise me on how to resolve this problem or extract the data from the TM (crashes before I can export from the menu)so that I can import it into a new TM and continue with my work ASAP.

Many thanks,

Ben

I am using Trados 7.5 Freelance with Word 2003.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:48
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do you have a backup? Jan 2, 2007

If you can load other TMs but not this one, then it sounds like you have a very corrupt translation memory on your hands.

The problem is, you can only extract the text while the TM is properly loaded. This is why I sporadically run text exports of my main TMs in addition to making backups on several pieces of external media.

If your TM is, in fact, corrupted, the only solution I know is to restore the most recent backup.

[Edited at 2007-01-02 06:01]

Satu Ilva
Satu Ilva  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:48
English to Finnish
+ ...
Trick you can try Jan 2, 2007

Just in case it's not the tmw file that is corrupted, try this:
(from Trados KB, also here: http://www.sdl.com/trados-support-view.htm?cntID=707)

Let us assume that the corrupt database is called OLDDB. Use the following procedure to restore this database:

1. Create a new translation memory, calling it NEWDB. Make sure that NEWDB has the same s
... See more
Just in case it's not the tmw file that is corrupted, try this:
(from Trados KB, also here: http://www.sdl.com/trados-support-view.htm?cntID=707)

Let us assume that the corrupt database is called OLDDB. Use the following procedure to restore this database:

1. Create a new translation memory, calling it NEWDB. Make sure that NEWDB has the same setup as OLDDB.

2. Locate the five files for the new translation memory in Explorer. Delete the file NEWDB.tmw.

3. Make a back up copy of the original corrupt database file OLDDB.tmw and rename the original to NEWDB.tmw.

4. Open NEWDB.tmw in Translator's Workbench.

5. From the File menu, choose Properties. The Translation Memory Properties dialog box is displayed. Notice that the number of translation units is given as 0 (zero). Click Close.

6. From the File menu, choose Reorganise to reorganise the translation memory.

7. From the File menu, choose Properties to open the Translation Memory Properties dialog box again. Provided that the .tmw file itself was not corrupt, you will see that the translation units have been restored.

Hope this helps. For the future, save yourself the palpitations and make frequent text export backups

Satu
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 06:48
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
not anwer, just a hint Jan 2, 2007

I am no longer able to open a TM that I am working with and instead keep getting this error

You can check what's broken by trying to export/access a different TM.

smo

[Edited at 2007-01-02 18:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open TM

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »