Any way to relocate MultiTerm 7.1 termbase files?
Thread poster: Michael Weise

Michael Weise
Local time: 04:08
German to Russian
+ ...
Jan 5, 2007

I used to keep my termbase files on my D: (Data) drive where I keep all my valuable information, for this drive is fault-tolerant and there's a corresponding backup strategy assigned to it.

When I installed MT 7.1.0.361, this wonderful program converted my termbase into some newer format and in the same time relocated the corresponding files to some folder on my system C: drive. I don't want my termbase to be kept on a system drive which is subject to too many risks. But MT 7.1 would not let me put these files elsewhere: it still keeps looking for some termbase-related file in the default folder on the C: drive.

Is there a good reason for this limitation regarding placement of termbase files? Or is this just another stupid limitation intended to make my life even more complicated?

Did anyone manage to successfully relocate the termbase files to any non-default location? How?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:08
Italian to English
Detach, move and re-attach your termbases Jan 5, 2007

Hi again Michael,

By default, termbases will be in the Termbase subfolder of your MultiTerm program file on your C: drive. Follow the instructions in section 5.15 of the MultiTerm User Guide (pp. 127 ff, Exchanging Local Termbases) to detach the termbases you want to move with the "Detach local termbase" command from the "Termbase" menu. Move your termbases to their new location and then re-attach them to MultiTerm using the "Load termbase" command from the "Termbase" menu.

There is a file called MTMaster.mdb which you can open in MS Access to see what your termbases are physically called and where they are located. MTMaster.mdb is stored by default in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TRADOS\MultiTerm\Termbases\

You might want to keep a copy of it somewhere safe if you don't do full-system back-ups.

HTH

Giles

[Edited at 2007-01-05 15:05]

Michael Weise
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, I am afraid it does not work this way Jan 6, 2007

Giles Watson wrote:
MTMaster.mdb is stored by default in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TRADOS\MultiTerm\Termbases\
You might want to keep a copy of it somewhere safe if you don't do full-system back-ups.

[Edited at 2007-01-05 15:05]

I did read the manual and it doesn't help. First of all, in case I detach and relocate my termbase Trados still copies it to the default C: folder at first opening, and attempts to delete it from the location I had moved it to. But even if I choose not to have these files deleted, Trados still copies my files to his default location at first opening and from this point on keeps using his C:-based copy and not mine Any ideas?

BTW many thanks for your kind attention to my problems. I really appreciate that.

[Edited at 2007-01-06 13:57]

Michael Weise
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess I solved this one too Jan 7, 2007

In order to relocate a MT 7.1 termbase you have to:
- if you are adding a non-MT-7.1 termbase, first let MT attach your termbase and copy it to the default location on C:, as it always does
- close MT
- copy the termbase files except for MTMaster.mdb and MTMaster.ldb from this default location on C: to your location
- open the MTMaster.mdb file in MS Access and modify the path to the termbase to point to your location
-save and close the MTMaster.mdb in Access
- Start MT and enjoy

[Edited at 2007-01-07 10:55]

John O'Hare
Local time: 02:08
Dutch to English
But do you have an answer for this? Mar 29, 2007

Editing the MtMaster.mdb file in Access certainly does the trick with the 'standalone' version of Multiterm, but does not (in M$ Vista) solve the problem with the Word Toolbar version of Multiterm, which still only shows the 'Local' default database provided by Trados. Where does the toolbar version derive its list of databases and how can other databases be added?

Michael Weise
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not have this problem and therefore I do not have a solution Mar 29, 2007

John O'Hare wrote:

...Where does the toolbar version derive its list of databases and how can other databases be added?

After I relocated the Multiterm DB I did not have any problems with the WinWord MT Toolbar - I can effectively access my MT DB from WinWord, though I seldom use it this way.
In my eyes this means that both MT and WinWord MT Toolbar derive their list of databases from one and the same location = MtMaster DB File, because I only altered this file upon relcating my DB and the "DB-locating function" works fine since that time.
I'm surprised to hear that this "function" doesn't work for your WinWord MT Toolbar and unfortunately have no solution for that.
Regards,
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any way to relocate MultiTerm 7.1 termbase files?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search