Workbench 7.5.0.756 fails with term recognition enabled when using older TM-s
Thread poster: Michael Weise

Michael Weise
Local time: 10:10
German to Russian
+ ...
Jan 7, 2007

I wonder if anyone else has this problem, but I used to, and this one was luckily relatively easy to solve. My Workbench 7.5.0.756 did not want to work with term recognition enabled if the attached translation memory was originally created in a previous version of Workbench. “Did not want to work” means either
- closing with error when attempting to open a WinWord segment containing a term to be recognized;
- not opening a segment containing such a term;
- in rare cases opening a segment and not recognizing any terms contained therein.
With recognition off opening, editing and saving segments worked fine.
The obvious solution is to export all the contents of the translation memory and to import them into a new empty translation memory created in Workbench 7.5.0.756.
Is this a professional tool if you have to waste more time=money experimenting with workarounds just to make it work than the prog is worth? It’s a headache and not a good investment.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 09:10
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Marketing Jan 7, 2007

Trados is by far the market leader, especially after SDL bought this software.

My experience is that just owning Trados is an advantage in Marketing terms. After I bought Trados (I started with the 5.5) my customer base started to expand.

I do not have to use Trados for all the jobs, especially when it's only word documents that need to be translated. Try Wordfast as well, or other CAT.

Ivan

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Problems, problems... Jan 7, 2007

Michael Weise wrote:

I wonder if anyone else has this problem, but I used to, and this one was luckily relatively easy to solve. My Workbench 7.5.0.756 did not want to work with term recognition enabled if the attached translation memory was originally created in a previous version of Workbench.

Hello again Michael,

The Workbench number changes (from 5.x to 6.x to 7.x) when a new database engine is introduced, IIRC. Trados will still open TMs created in previous versions but you may not be able to use them optimally.

You can always check the database version number of your translation memory in the Properties dialog box in Translator’s Workbench (to open the Properties dialog box, select Properties from the File menu).

Term recognition problems tend to be MultiTerm-related, though. On one of my computers, I had hiccups because I installed Workbench before MultiTerm (the release notes recommend installing MultiTerm first). I uninstalled everything and reinstalled both programs in the right order, which seemed to put everything to rights.

The obvious solution is to export all the contents of the translation memory and to import them into a new empty translation memory created in Workbench 7.5.0.756.

This is in fact the procedure recommended in the SDL Trados 2006 Freelance Getting Started Guide (Section 4.13).

Is this a professional tool if you have to waste more time=money experimenting with workarounds just to make it work than the prog is worth?

Tools are just tools: professionalism is a function of how you use them.

It’s a headache and not a good investment.

Look on the bright side: there is a lively market for pre-owned Trados licences so you should have no trouble selling it

Joking aside, Trados is not the most user-friendly piece of software on the planet but it does generate income for a lot of people. If you are not one of them, there are many other valid CAT tools on the market for you to try.

Remember that most translators are fairly - even fiercely - loyal to their CAT tool. In many cases, you'll find that their loyalty is directly proportional to the time and frustration they expended on mastering the beast.

Best,

Giles

[Edited at 2007-01-07 15:04]

[Edited at 2007-01-07 15:58]

[Edited at 2007-01-07 15:59]

Michael Weise
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Switching over to some other CAT is not that easy Jan 7, 2007

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:
Trados is by far the market leader, especially after SDL bought this software.

Maybe. Translators are a small market and seem not to be spoilt with good software Is Trados leadership supposed to mean that all the other CAT tools are even worse?
After I bought Trados (I started with the 5.5) my customer base started to expand.

I also started with the 5.5 and tried all the versions, so I must say it has always been a big collection of bugs No other software has ever driven me that crazy and has cost me that much money, directly and indirectly. As far as the clients base is concerned, I do not care about using Trados as my marketing advantage because I usually have more work with my current clients than I can cope with, and therefore do not spend much time doing self-marketing and looking for clients. This might be my mistake, actually, but that's the way things are.
I do not have to use Trados for all the jobs, especially when it's only word documents that need to be translated. Try Wordfast as well, or other CAT.

I use Trados for virtually every job and have really huge TMs and termbases, and my problem is that I cannot switch to any other CAT unless I'm sure I can 100%-ly use my existing data with this new CAT. No other CAT proved to be that compatible yet. I will be happy if you prove me wrong.

Michael Weise
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your input! Jan 7, 2007

Giles Watson wrote:
This is in fact the procedure recommended in the SDL Trados 2006 Freelance Getting Started Guide (Section 4.13).

This might be true and I may have not noticed this very paragraph, but I actually have to do my job and meet my deadlines rather than study hundreds of pages because of every slightest program version change. It's the program that is supposed to support me, and not vice-versa.

Tools are just tools: professionalism is a function of how you use them.

In my view there is a big difference between professionalism in your actual job, including skills in using the respective tools, AND skillfulness in bug-fixing stupid programs which do not work the way they are expected to Trados helps me improve the second type of skills more than any other program does

Joking aside, Trados is not the most user-friendly piece of software on the planet but it does generate income for a lot of people.

The only people it actually generates income for are the company which sells it. For the translators it is just another tool which _helps_ them generate income, not more than that. Or hampers them generate income. Depending on how usable a specific version is

If you are not one of them, there are many other valid CAT tools on the market for you to try.

Though I’ve been using Trados for a long time, I'm none of the people whose income _depends_ on Trados. Or on any other specific CAT tool. My main tool is inside my head and I hope ít will remain useable even if all the CAT tools crash

Remember that most translators are fairly - even fiercely - loyal to their CAT tool. In many cases, you'll find that their loyalty is directly proportional to the time and frustration they expended on mastering the beast.

Is "masochism" the right word for loving what causes you pain?

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Masochists of the world unite Jan 7, 2007

Michael Weise wrote:

I may have not noticed this very paragraph, but I actually have to do my job and meet my deadlines rather than study hundreds of pages because of every slightest program version change.

"Slightest"? Database engines are pretty fundamental to most CAT tools. If you've been using Trados since version 5, your TMs may still be in database version 5 (worth checking).

It's the program that is supposed to support me, and not vice-versa.

I'm happy to settle for a mutually profitable relationship and of course you have to work at relationships

Trados helps me improve the second type of skills more than any other program does

Well then, there must be some way you can capitalise on these new skills!

The only people it actually generates income for are the company which sells it. For the translators it is just another tool which _helps_ them generate income, not more than that.

That's good enough for me...

My main tool is inside my head and I hope ít will remain useable even if all the CAT tools crash

Lucky you. I'm at an age where I find that computers remember what I've translated much better than I do.

Is "masochism" the right word for loving what causes you pain?

Yes, it's that sort of psychological dependency, I suppose.

Cheers,

Giles

[Edited at 2007-01-07 17:35]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench 7.5.0.756 fails with term recognition enabled when using older TM-s

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search