Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jan 11, 2007

...is about to expire.
That's what SDL Trados mail told me this morning. I never even knew that I had such an agreement. Did you all get this mail?
Cheers
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:20
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I think that was an option when I bought Trados Jan 11, 2007

I remember that was one of the options to choose from when I bought the software. I chose not to buy this extra option.
Maybe you accidently did?

Regards, Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2007-01-11 01:07]

[Bearbeitet am 2007-01-11 08:00]

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:20
German to English
+ ...
Options Jan 11, 2007

Yeah, I think mine ran for a year.

If it is help you might need, their product support facility/knowledge base is pretty good and runs without that agreement.

Also, you might care to subscribe to sdlx@yahoogroups.com, which is contributed to by many star users and even the proprietor's software architects. Even as a seasoned user of the tool(s), you'll still find some "S**t - I never knew that!" topics appearing.

Ciao
Chris

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Jan 11, 2007

when I look at my receit I notice they fooled me into paying 43 Euro for this silly support and maintance agreement. Needless to say I never came near to need any support from SDL. And what kind of maintance could there possibly be with software? Oh, this OpenOfficeXConverterFilter.dll seems to be worn out, let's put in a new one? A drop of oil here and there?
Must be more careful when I upgrade next time.
Cheers
Heinrich

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Software maintenance refers to upgrades Jan 12, 2007

Heinrich,
And what kind of maintance could there possibly be with software?

The concept of 'software maintenance' refers to software upgrades, which are included in a maintenance agreement. I have a support and maintenance agreement myself, which I find anything but 'silly'.

Regards,
Ralf

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Normal practice Jan 12, 2007

When you buy a software licence you normally have the right to get free updates for a year. The same was true for Trados. Loading the newest version of the software and installing it is called "maintance" only in the terminology of SDL. As a translator of technical texts I'm rather allergic for muddling of concepts. Maintance is service and repair, if you through the machine out and install an improved model thats not maintance.
So without this SDL support agreement for 43 Euro I would not be able to update if they release a debugged version?
Cheers
Heinrich

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why did you purchase it...? Jan 12, 2007

Heinrich,
TBH I'm a bit confused as to why you purchased Support & Maintenance in the first place... surely you had a detailed look at the order before placing it?

When you buy a software licence you normally have the right to get free updates for a year. The same was true for Trados.

Since when?

So without this SDL support agreement for 43 Euro I would not be able to update if they release a debugged version?

Once again, I would suggest to read the documentation in detail. Service Packs (such as the bugfix from 7.0 to 7.1) are free, whereas Software Product Upgrades (e.g. from 7.5 to 8.0) cost money, but are included in the Maintenance Agreement.

I can understand that you may not need it - in which case I'd be surprised if you bought it nevertheless.

Regards,
Ralf

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:20
German to English
+ ...
My correction, clarification and confirmation Jan 15, 2007

The concept of 'software maintenance' refers to software upgrades, which are included in a maintenance agreement. I have a support and maintenance agreement myself, which I find anything but 'silly'.

Regards,
Ralf

"Click to confirm that you have read the blah and agree with it, huh?"

I had just assumed that this covered support and an entitlement to build updates rather than version upgrades.

I subscribed to a "Premium Support and Maintenance. The "support" part expired (entitlement to phone support etc.) but having checked today, I now discover that the "Maintenance" holds good and that I can upgrade from SDLX 2005 to a later version including SDL Trados, which amazed me.

Only goes to show the old adage that that "ASSUME" makes an ASS out of U and ME.;-)

Many thanks Ralf, and Heinrich - I'd go for it.

Cheers
Chris

[Edited at 2007-01-15 17:04]

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
8.0? Jan 15, 2007

Dear Ralf,
thanks for defending SDL

What are you talking about? There is no version 8.0 to be seen, guess it will come out after my contract period ends. I just looked at the update site, from 7 to 2006 yes, but nothing more recent.

Regards
Heinrich

Germany
English to German
+ ...
That was an example... Jan 15, 2007

Heinrich,

Dear Ralf,
thanks for defending SDL

I'm not defending SDL at all.

What are you talking about? There is no version 8.0 to be seen, guess it will come out after my contract period ends. I just looked at the update site, from 7 to 2006 yes, but nothing more recent.

That was an example.
I rest my case.

Regards,
Ralf

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
Prices for SDL Trados Support and Maintenance and the Materials Pack vary. Mar 5, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I notice they fooled me into paying 43 Euro for this silly support and maintance agreement.
Heinrich

Hi Heinrich. Just noticed your posting. I'm also trying to find out what this Support and Maintenance thing is all about.

Actually the 43 Euros you paid weren't such a bad deal. You will probably now be entitled to an upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 at about 85 dollars or so, when it becomes available at the end of March. I wish I had known there was such a thing as a Support and Maintenance agreement, it would have saved me some money.

Anyway the prices have gone up. The complete Level 1 package costs 98 dollars per year now (might be more in Euros) and solely the Maintenance about 71 USD. That was just a little too much for me, so I ordered the SDL 2007 upgrade without the bells and whistles.

There's another curiosity on offer: the SDL Trados 2006 Freelance Materials Pack, in other words: the CDs plus the manuals in printed form at 65.- dollars plus 20 dollars for shipping. I have gracefully declined.

Keep up the good work!

Babel123
France
English to French
PSMA level 1 entitles you to free upgrades, updates and service packs for the whole year Mar 6, 2007

Premium support and maintenance agreement is an option that is automatically added to your online order... but you can deselect it if you feel you don't need it.

I recently contacted SDL to enquire about their PSMA Level 1 offer. I wanted to ugrade from Trados Freelance 6.5 to SDL Trados 2006 ; I wasn't sure whether the PSMA Level 1 contract included a free upgrade to SDL Trados 2007, or not. They confirmed: it does. Below is the reply I received:

"When you buy a support AND maintenance contract, you are entitled to free upgrades, updates and service packs for the whole year.
Please note you need to have the latest version of the software in order to be able to purchase maintenance.
If you buy the upgrade to SDL Trados 2006 Freelance, it would be fine."

Regards,

Armelle

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But my year was up already Mar 6, 2007

At the end of my support year I recieved a notice about an upgrade of SDL Trados 2006, which I downloaded but haven't installed yet. The new version 2007, when it arrives, is something I will have to pay for again, as my support contract run out a month ago.
So I guess if one decides to pay for the support package one should wait a few months, so that the next version will be available befor the period ends in 2008.

I'll be more careful if and when I upgrade next time. After all I do not expect anything revolutionary from a new version, I had no problems with the 2006 package and actually used it only a few times (mostly for SDLX-projects).
I reckon if I turned down all Trados-only projects I would not lose very much after all.

Cheers
Heinrich

GeorginaW  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
A warning about PSMA agreements Apr 29, 2009

I dumped my Trados software a few months ago. When an email came in February from SDL Trados telling me that my PSMA (premium support and maintenance agreement) was about to expire and I should send an email to renew it, I therefore ignored it. When a further mail arrived on 18 February attaching the invoice I had "requested", I also ignored it for the same reason - and I hadn't "requested" anything at all anyway.
Today a charming Irish voice at the other end of the telephone said that because I had ticked the box in my SDL Trados original agreement, I was liable to pay the €166, since in the AGBs apparently it says you have to cancel it, otherwise it will be automatically renewed.
I find this very cunning and underhand. Of course I had long forgotten what the terms and conditions included/not registered in the first place, so I am to blame. However, they sent me the two mails described above in February. It might have been more honest to request me to mail them if I didn't want to continue the PSMA.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"My premium support and maintenance agreement"

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search