SDL Trados 2006 Tag Editor: Automatic Spelling correction?
Thread poster: Michael Spaventa

Michael Spaventa  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:40
German to English
Jan 18, 2007

A vendor of mine is using SDL Trados 2006 to do a translation from English into German. WHile spellchecking, she noticed that Words were being changed automatically ("Verreigelung" to "Verringerung", "Transportsicherung" to, believe it or not, "Transportschnecke"). It only appears to occur with certain words. Has anyone come across this problem, and is there a solution? Sounds like some form of "autocorrection", but I have never seen a setting for that.

Thanks in advance for any help or insights.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:40
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is not a know issue Jan 18, 2007

I strongly suppose she has mistakingly pressed "Change all" instead of "Ignore all". I'm using Tageditor with polish spell-checker from Word and nothing similar happens. There is no autocorrection function in Tageditor, even two capitals ath the beginning of a word are not automatically corrected.
However, Tageditor uses the spell-checker and users dictionaries from Word, so it also might be possible, that she somehow entered those terms there.
As Tageditor is a quite primitive text editor, I cannot imagine it acting on its own and changing words.

Regards
Jerzy

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
And yet, that is what is happening Jan 18, 2007

This is not an issue of "change all". It is a situation where she types the word "Verriegelung", closes the segment, opens the Spellchecker, and without the spellchecker even suggesting a possible correction, the word changes to "Verringerung": without any input from her.

That is why I asked about some sort of Autocorrection ...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of spellchecker is she using? Jan 18, 2007

Something like that never happened to me - and I'm also using (extensively) Tageditor.
Has she any possibility to change the spellcheckers settings?
How do she do spellchecking? Automatically each time when closing segment? Before saving as target? Or in other way?

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wintertree Spellchecker only Jan 18, 2007

She's only using the Wintertree spell checker. Does not have the Word spellchecker for German ...uses a Duden checker with Word. Before closing each segment, she manually spellchecks by pressing F7.

She had a custom dictionary associated with Tag Editor, whgich she has just removed...we;re hoping that this solves the problem, but who knows...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
That may make the difference Jan 18, 2007

I'm using Word spellchecker.
I have Word 2003 and purchased Microsoft Proofing Tool kit for it. There is no Wintertree spellchecker for Polish, so I was forced to use Word.
Now maybe the Wintertree spellchecker has some settings, which I don't know - but a cutom dictionary might very well be the reason. Similar to Word, where you can store certain word to be autocorrected in other - sometimes a great function, but sometimes somehow annoying.
There's nothing perfect in the world.
I hope you can get rid of this very strange and annoying behaviour.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2006 Tag Editor: Automatic Spelling correction?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search