https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/64004-translating_footnotes_in_trados.html

Translating footnotes in Trados
Thread poster: Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:53
English to French
+ ...
Jan 21, 2007

Hello,

Could someone be so kind as to explain the best way to translate footnotes in Trados?

Thanks

Bruno Magne

Aleksandr Surkov
Aleksandr Surkov
Estonia
Local time: 11:53
English to Russian
+ ...
TagEditor or T-Window for Clipboard Jan 21, 2007

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Footnotes Jan 21, 2007

Bruno Magne wrote:

Hello,

Could someone be so kind as to explain the best way to translate footnotes in Trados?

Thanks

Bruno Magne

Hi Bruno,

If your document is formatted properly, there shouldn't be a problem.

Where you have no matches, use the "copy source" button, translate that segment and when you click on the "set/close next open/get" button, you should automatically be taken to the footnote segment.

Once you've translated the footnote, click again on the "set/close next open/get" button, you'll be taken back to the segment you were busy with in the main part of the document and can then click again as normal for the next segment.

If you get "stuck" in a footnote and can't get back to the main document, use Alt + 0 (as in zero). That usually does the trick.

Where there are matches, I find it easier to copy the source anyhow and use the concordance feature to either re-type my match or copy it using the concordance clipboard (depending on volume/% match involved), making sure I retain the footnote.

Sure there are many other and far better workarounds, but this may help so long.

Boa sorte e bom fds!

[Edited at 2007-01-21 20:06]

Bruno Magne
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Deborah Jan 21, 2007

I triied on a segment I had already tranlated but since I also (and mainly) use the ALT + to key comibination to open the following segment it did not work.

I'll try again the next time I have a footnote in the source segment.

Muito obrigado e um bom fim-de-semana também

Bruno

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:53
English to German
+ ...
File Formats Reference Guide Jan 21, 2007

Hi Bruno,
Have a look at section 8-10 of the Trados File Formats Reference Guide - the document is part of your (default) installation.

HTH, Ralf

Bruno Magne
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ralf Jan 21, 2007

INdeed. As a matter of fact, I read all manuals but thatht one.

Any way, I do'nt believe it will work, since my .doc file is not a true Word document, but a converted .html file.

Aleksandr: I don't understand your reply. Could you please develop it further?

Bruno

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:53
English to Indonesian
+ ...
tag editor Jan 22, 2007

just like what aleksandr said, you can always use tag editor. just drag the file into the tag editor, then you have the ttx ready to be translated.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:53
English to Dutch
+ ...
Export unknown Jan 22, 2007

Hi,

if everything else fails, you can always finish the entire document and conduct an analysis.
Then export unknown segments. This will result in a Word file with all the segments that have not been translated.

Translate these (make sure to upload them into your TM) and auto-translate the whole document (Translate to Fuzzy should work).

I'm not sure about all the details of this procedure, it's been a while since I've last done this.

I u
... See more
Hi,

if everything else fails, you can always finish the entire document and conduct an analysis.
Then export unknown segments. This will result in a Word file with all the segments that have not been translated.

Translate these (make sure to upload them into your TM) and auto-translate the whole document (Translate to Fuzzy should work).

I'm not sure about all the details of this procedure, it's been a while since I've last done this.

I usually try to find the Unknown segments manually (printed document), or use 'Search' in Word to find the segment in their 'natural habitat', but this may take up a lot of time.

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating footnotes in Trados

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »