Thread poster: Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:38
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2007

SDL Trados 7 + XP.
ALL my matches suddenly whow as 98 % matches even though they are 100 %. Consequently I can't use translate to fuzzy and am not even sure my memory gets updated correctly.

What do I do?

TIA

Anette

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:38
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ideas Jan 24, 2007

Anette Herbert wrote:

SDL Trados 7 + XP.
ALL my matches suddenly whow as 98 % matches even though they are 100 %.

Anette

Has anything changed on your system recently? Have you upgraded to a new version of your CAT software, or switched from TW to SDLX?

Usually the sort of drop you're describing is a "format penalty" (e.g., identical text but one is from a Word document and the other from HTML).

Ahmad Hassaballa
Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:38
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
Maybe Format changed Jan 24, 2007

Maybe the format of the text has changed. colors, being plain or bold, capital and small letters affect the match.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
WinAlign? Jan 24, 2007

Hello

I saw in a previous forum that if the 100% matches come from a WinAlign document this is what happens, they get an automatic penalty.

I guess, once you open the segment and accept the translation as a 100% match, the TM will be updated correctly.

Regards,

Marta

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No changes Jan 24, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Has anything changed on your system recently? Have you upgraded to a new version of your CAT software, or switched from TW to SDLX?

Usually the sort of drop you're describing is a "format penalty" (e.g., identical text but one is from a Word document and the other from HTML).

No, Steven, no changes. I did however reduce the penalty from 10 % to 2 % and now I am wondering if these are the missing 2 % but that is too far out, surely.

It is not from the memory, that I get this. It's when I type in the translation and the segment still remains yellow when I double-check. The strange thing is that the translated text becomes green (my colour for a 100 % match) but the segment colour remains yellow.

Hope that gives some more clues.

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jan 24, 2007

I noticed in the Trados window that I had a filter setting on, when I cleared that setting the segments turned green again.

But why they would not go green because of a filter setting I would like to know. Is it because that sentence has to match a sentence in the filter setting (another client) perhaps?

Thanks for all your help anyway!

I'm happy again....
See more
I noticed in the Trados window that I had a filter setting on, when I cleared that setting the segments turned green again.

But why they would not go green because of a filter setting I would like to know. Is it because that sentence has to match a sentence in the filter setting (another client) perhaps?

Thanks for all your help anyway!

I'm happy again.

Anette
Collapse

xarada (X)
xarada (X)
English to Portuguese
Filter does matter Jan 24, 2007

Hi Anette,

Yes, the filter option does that. The sentence might be 100% the same, but if the TM has it as client A, and you define the current document as client B, then you get a penalty for that. Quite good if you work with different clients who want different terminology, so you never get a 100% match if clients are different (in TM and in the current settings of that particular current document).

Hope this helps

Regards,
MM

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Major puzzle solved xarada Jan 24, 2007

xarada wrote:

Quite good if you work with different clients who want different terminology, so you never get a 100% match if clients are different (in TM and in the current settings of that particular current document).

You have just solved my biggest Trados mystery (that I was aware of anyway) !
When I first started using Trados 5 years ago, somebody at a demo said that the greatest function for her was the filter function because you could use it for different customers.

And I have never understood what she meant by that, but often wondered why it was so great, as the only use I got out of it was setting the date, job id and client in the project settings and did not have a clue what the filter settings were really for.

It is a weird feeling, is it not, when something that you have quietly pondered over the years gets suddenly finds its explanation.
And why didn't I look it up in the help section? Well, I did, and as normal the Trados gobbledegook just confused me further.

So Thank you very much Xadera! I now see lots of potential with the filter function!

Best regards
Anette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

100 % matches are shown as fuzzy 98 %

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »