100 % matches are shown as fuzzy 98 %
Thread poster: Anette Herbert

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:02
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2007

SDL Trados 7 + XP.
ALL my matches suddenly whow as 98 % matches even though they are 100 %. Consequently I can't use translate to fuzzy and am not even sure my memory gets updated correctly.

What do I do?

TIA

Anette

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:02
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ideas Jan 24, 2007

Anette Herbert wrote:

SDL Trados 7 + XP.
ALL my matches suddenly whow as 98 % matches even though they are 100 %.

Anette

Has anything changed on your system recently? Have you upgraded to a new version of your CAT software, or switched from TW to SDLX?

Usually the sort of drop you're describing is a "format penalty" (e.g., identical text but one is from a Word document and the other from HTML).

Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:02
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
Maybe Format changed Jan 24, 2007

Maybe the format of the text has changed. colors, being plain or bold, capital and small letters affect the match.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
WinAlign? Jan 24, 2007

Hello

I saw in a previous forum that if the 100% matches come from a WinAlign document this is what happens, they get an automatic penalty.

I guess, once you open the segment and accept the translation as a 100% match, the TM will be updated correctly.

Regards,

Marta

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No changes Jan 24, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Has anything changed on your system recently? Have you upgraded to a new version of your CAT software, or switched from TW to SDLX?

Usually the sort of drop you're describing is a "format penalty" (e.g., identical text but one is from a Word document and the other from HTML).

No, Steven, no changes. I did however reduce the penalty from 10 % to 2 % and now I am wondering if these are the missing 2 % but that is too far out, surely.

It is not from the memory, that I get this. It's when I type in the translation and the segment still remains yellow when I double-check. The strange thing is that the translated text becomes green (my colour for a 100 % match) but the segment colour remains yellow.

Hope that gives some more clues.

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jan 24, 2007

I noticed in the Trados window that I had a filter setting on, when I cleared that setting the segments turned green again.icon_smile.gif

But why they would not go green because of a filter setting I would like to know. Is it because that sentence has to match a sentence in the filter setting (another client) perhaps?

Thanks for all your help anyway!

I'm happy again.icon_smile.gif

Anette

xarada (X)
English to Portuguese
Filter does matter Jan 24, 2007

Hi Anette,

Yes, the filter option does that. The sentence might be 100% the same, but if the TM has it as client A, and you define the current document as client B, then you get a penalty for that. Quite good if you work with different clients who want different terminology, so you never get a 100% match if clients are different (in TM and in the current settings of that particular current document).

Hope this helps

Regards,
MM

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Major puzzle solved xarada Jan 24, 2007

xarada wrote:

Quite good if you work with different clients who want different terminology, so you never get a 100% match if clients are different (in TM and in the current settings of that particular current document).

You have just solved my biggest Trados mystery (that I was aware of anyway) !
When I first started using Trados 5 years ago, somebody at a demo said that the greatest function for her was the filter function because you could use it for different customers.

And I have never understood what she meant by that, but often wondered why it was so great, as the only use I got out of it was setting the date, job id and client in the project settings and did not have a clue what the filter settings were really for.

It is a weird feeling, is it not, when something that you have quietly pondered over the years gets suddenly finds its explanation.
And why didn't I look it up in the help section? Well, I did, and as normal the Trados gobbledegook just confused me further.

So Thank you very much Xadera! I now see lots of potential with the filter function!

Best regards
Anette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

100 % matches are shown as fuzzy 98 %

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search