https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/64358-finding_target_language_sentences_in_a_tm.html

finding target language sentences in a TM
Thread poster: Ana Ramirez
Ana Ramirez
Ana Ramirez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 25, 2007

Is there any way I can change a English into Spanish TM into a Spanish into English TM? I need find if some phrases in Spanish have been translated and are in the TM I have. I am using concordance to look for them. However, I do not find them and I am thinking that is probably because concordance looks for equivalent in the source text only. Therefore is looking for the Spanish sentences among the English sentences.
Is there any way I can look for these sentences in Spanish?

I
... See more
Is there any way I can change a English into Spanish TM into a Spanish into English TM? I need find if some phrases in Spanish have been translated and are in the TM I have. I am using concordance to look for them. However, I do not find them and I am thinking that is probably because concordance looks for equivalent in the source text only. Therefore is looking for the Spanish sentences among the English sentences.
Is there any way I can look for these sentences in Spanish?

I have Trados 7. I tried exporting the TM to a TXT so I can look at the TXT file; however, it is such a big TM. It freezes and I have not been able to do that. Any ideas?

Thank

Ana R
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 06:32
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
use exported TXT file ... Jan 25, 2007

Is there any way I can change a English into Spanish TM into a Spanish into English TM?

... to import into a new (SP>EN) TM - which of course you have to create first, even if empty. You can also use File/Maintainance in the EN>SP translation memory, but I for one would vote for the first option, i.e. for a second/mirror TM - you can do concordance search there etc...

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2007-01-25 20:51]

Ana Ramirez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to import into a new (SP>EN) TM Jan 25, 2007

Thanks a lot!

I reversed the TM and was able to use the concordance feature for Spanish into English: I found very detailed instructions on how to do it. I am copying these instructions here for if they are useful for everybody:

Follow these steps to reverse your translation memory and to add it as a reference memory for Concordance searching:
1. Choose Export from the File menu in Translator's Workbench and accept the default settings in the Export dialog
... See more
Thanks a lot!

I reversed the TM and was able to use the concordance feature for Spanish into English: I found very detailed instructions on how to do it. I am copying these instructions here for if they are useful for everybody:

Follow these steps to reverse your translation memory and to add it as a reference memory for Concordance searching:
1. Choose Export from the File menu in Translator's Workbench and accept the default settings in the Export dialog box to export the whole content of your memory to a text file.
2. Create a new translation memory in Translator's Workbench by choosing New from the File menu.
3. Select the target language of your orignal translation memory as the source language and the source language of your orignal translation memory as the target language. Save the new translation memory to a location of your choice.
4. Choose File - Import to import the text file created in step 1 to the translation memory you created in the previous step.
5. Choose File - Open in Translator's Workbench to open your original translation memory.
6. Choose Options, Translation Memory Options and go to the Concordance tab. Click Browse to select the memory you just created as the reference translation memory.
7. Select Search first in reference translation memory to search the reference memory first during concordance searches.
You can now search for target language content when using the Concordance feature

Thanks again,

Ana Ramirez
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maintenance function Jan 25, 2007

You can use the "Maintenance" function in Translators Workbench (specifically the "filter" function) to search for words in the target language of a TM.

For instance, if I want to search for the word "precio" in an English>Spanish TM, I filter for the string "*precio*" in the Spanish field of the TM.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Jan 25, 2007

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDLX and/or Trados.

Ana Ramirez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Steven Jan 26, 2007

Steven,
I did not know about this feature. I am looking into it since Vito mentioned yesterday. I find it quite useful now. Thanks a lot!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
When I started, it took me six months ... Jan 26, 2007

I find it quite useful now.

... to stumble upon Maintainance. But then, I did not know, who to ask. And, besides, I did not know/realize the problem (sigh)....

Pleased to play the catcher in the rye;)

smo

Verdeflor
Verdeflor
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Up-dating inverted En-Es and Es-En TMs Feb 29, 2008

Hello:

I have just inverted an En-Es TM and have a new Es-En one; Ana, your posting was very useful, thank you very much Learning the needed terminology to search in the user guide was also a great help.
My question now is if it's possible to up-date the En-Es TM after working with the new Es-En TM. Can I do that exporting and importing the ttx file?

Thanks in advance,
Verdeflor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

finding target language sentences in a TM

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »