Translate with TagEditor without Word
Thread poster: Pily
Pily  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2007

Help!
I have just bought Trados 2006. I don't have M. Word in my computer. I Know that I can work with TagEditor and Open Office. Could you try to explain me if I can use the TM of Translator's Workbench and Multiterm 7?
please Help!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Şadan Öz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 11:13
English to Turkish
Yes you can Jan 26, 2007

When you work with TagEditor only, You will not need MS-Office unless you have a job in Word or Excel file format. MultiTerm 7 is independent from MS-Office.
But, as I know, you cannot run Trados Workbench with Open Office.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:13
English to French
+ ...
You have two choices Jan 27, 2007

You can actually translate a Word document without having Word installed on your computer by converting your Word document to TTX (TagEditor) format. All you have to do is have Workbench analyse the Word document and then have Workbench translate it. Once that's done, you will find a TTX document in the same directory where you stored your Word document. You can translate this TTX and the formatting will actually be retained better than if you were working directly in Word. The disadvantage is that you will not be able to open the translated document in Word since you don't have it - but you can open it in OpenOffice!

Another solution is to open your Word document in OpenOffice and save it in OO format. Then, follow the procedure described above.

They both come down to the same thing, really.

So, in a nutshell, yes, Trados 2006 is compatible with OO, it just doesn't have an OO interface like the Word interface. And you CAN translate Word files without having Word on your computer, provided you use TagEditor.

All the best!

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't you need Word to import Word files into TagEditor? Jan 27, 2007

So, in a nutshell, yes, Trados 2006 is compatible with OO, it just doesn't have an OO interface like the Word interface. And you CAN translate Word files without having Word on your computer, provided you use TagEditor.

I haven't checked but I'm nearly sure that you need MS Word installed to import Word files into TagEditor.

The second method proposed by Viktoria (convert Word file to OpenOffice and then translation with TagEditor should work).

What I don't like about translating Word files without having Word installed is that you cannot open the file with Word before sending it back to the customer, so you don't really know if the file you are sending is OK or if your customer is going to find problems when they try to open it with MS Word...

Daniel

Pily  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thaks a lot for your explantion! Jan 28, 2007

thaks to all the translators Daniel, Viktoria and Sadam:
I supposed indeed that I could translate Word documents by converting Word documents in TTX(TagEditor)formats. After that I was a little bit lost. Thanks to Viktoria I Know now how to use the Wokbench...
For beeing able to open the translation document just before to send it to the client, I'm going to set up the Microsoft Word Viewer in my computer.This free tool will allow me to see the target version in Word.
Hope everythig works!
Best Regards

PILY

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate with TagEditor without Word

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search