How to generate a segmented trados file
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 05:49
English to German
+ ...
Jan 30, 2007

Hi! while using a source and a target file. Can anybody help me. My thought is that the target file is not finished in a segmented manner as per trados logic and the enquiry was a range of source and target files to be converted into trados format at a price tag of €5,- per page. Well theoretically I know how to do this, but the result when it comes to a bilingual track ediiting would be disastrous, because the tool is blind the man´s genious not. I shall appreciate all educating help. Best Brandis

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:49
English to French
+ ...
It is very simple Jan 31, 2007

1. Make up an empty TM in Workbench. Make sure it doesn't contain any TUs.
2. Go to Tools > Translate, select the files you want to segment and check the box that says something like "segment unknown sentences". Run the Translate utility.
3. You should now have a completely segmented file. It will contain target segments that contain the same text as the source segments.

I have just tried this on a one-page Word doc and it worked like a charm.

I hope this helps!

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
How to generate a segmented trados file Jan 31, 2007

I'm not sure I understand your question. However, to create a segmented file from a source and target file, you need to align them with WinAlign, create a new TM and translate the source file with the TM.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jan 31, 2007

Hi! I found the answer already. Hynek´s solution is better and more stable, becuase if I do automatic alignment, the segments are some times split in a way that the target does not always actually match the source. Thank you once again Best Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to generate a segmented trados file

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search