How to "Non-translatable" in TTX format
Thread poster: Tony Tang
Tony Tang
Tony Tang
Local time: 03:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 31, 2007

Hi, recently I have received several TTX format files from my client. But there are some sentences or paragraphs, which I do not need to translate. So I want to make them non-translatable. But I when I tried to use the style to mask them, it didn't work out. Later I found that it is because TTX files don't work with the style.
So can anybody give me some tips to finish my purpose.

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:40
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Use tags if possible Jan 31, 2007

In Tag-Editor, it is only possible to write protect strings with the help of tags. So if your strings are always delimited by univoque tags, then you can use them in your file type definition for self-defined formats (AFAIK, predefined filters cannot be changed). If this is not the case, I am afraid, that there is no hope. If you work on a word or RTF file, you could try to define your non-translatables before exporting it to TagEditor - I never tried this, thus I cannot swear that it will work.... See more
In Tag-Editor, it is only possible to write protect strings with the help of tags. So if your strings are always delimited by univoque tags, then you can use them in your file type definition for self-defined formats (AFAIK, predefined filters cannot be changed). If this is not the case, I am afraid, that there is no hope. If you work on a word or RTF file, you could try to define your non-translatables before exporting it to TagEditor - I never tried this, thus I cannot swear that it will work.
Good luck.
Collapse

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
Local time: 21:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to convert translatable to Non-translatable Jan 31, 2007

Hi,

There is one way though it is dangerous. You can open those segments in Tageditor and insert the original text in the target without updating the TM.
Then, open the ttx file with Notepad. Select Tu MatchPercent="0" of those segments and replace it with Tu Origin="xtranslate".

This would convert translatable segments into Xtranslated. You will not be able to modify them and when analysing ttx files, they will not be count.

Best regards,
... See more
Hi,

There is one way though it is dangerous. You can open those segments in Tageditor and insert the original text in the target without updating the TM.
Then, open the ttx file with Notepad. Select Tu MatchPercent="0" of those segments and replace it with Tu Origin="xtranslate".

This would convert translatable segments into Xtranslated. You will not be able to modify them and when analysing ttx files, they will not be count.

Best regards,

Òscar

[Edited at 2007-01-31 12:16]
Collapse

Tony Tang
Tony Tang
Local time: 03:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Feb 1, 2007

Thank you for your suggestions, Geneviève and omartin. Although they may be viable, It seems that there is no better way.

I will keep trying.

Tony

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to "Non-translatable" in TTX format

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »