Thread poster: Rafał Kwiatkowski

Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:15
German to Polish
+ ...
Feb 1, 2007

Hi all!
I have about 200 MB TM and SDL Trados. I'd like to delete old unusefull/broken entires from TM. Is that possible? I can modify mdb in maintain function, so it is possible to export tmw to mdb and edit there but 200 MB TM will become about 2 GB database in mdb and it is too big file to do anything with it because the PC won't response and crash. The same thing occures when I try to edit exported TMW to txt in WORD.
Please help!
Best regards,
Rafal

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
It is not the total size... Feb 1, 2007

but the amount and type of corrections you need to do, that's important. Can you qualify what you mean by "useless/broken"? What I would do, is for instance search for all non-UTF8 entries in the translation (my problem now and then), export them using maintainance and edit them. Or export a part of the memory, spell check it, and then propagate the most evident errors througfh the rest of the TM.

The other way of limiting the amount of work is to export and clean piecewise - for instance anything before Date X, then X to y etc.

btw, "export tmw to mdb" - I do not see the connection. You do not intend to use MultiTerm to edit the translation memory, do you?!

regards

smo

[Edited at 2007-02-01 15:46]

Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So: Feb 1, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

Can you qualify what you mean by "useless/broken"? [Edited at 2007-02-01 15:46]

Sometimes, translating in TagEditor whole sentence is divided into 5 or more segments. After "close and set" my TMW is updated with such messed up partial words what later makes difficult to search some concordance because I need to search all not accurate search results and I'd like to clean up my Traslation Memory from such truncated things. How can I export part of TM using Workbench?
How to set the between date of entries to export?

You're right, I don't want to use Multiterm.

Regards,
Rafal

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
How to handle hardbreaks Feb 3, 2007

Sometimes, translating in TagEditor whole sentence is divided into 5 or more segments.

(sigh) This is one of the pests we DONT have to live with. The antidotes are:

a) throw the hard break out of the list of segment separators. This way you will have one segment (terminating on period) instead of five, that got separated by the hard breaks. This is possibly too drastic and can hurt elsewhere.

b) expand the segments on translation back to the correct size - there's a command in TWB/word interface to join them back again, but I do not remember if it is available in TagEditor. You interfere with the way TRADOS handles the segments per default, so if the client requests the TM, he will come back and complain about untranslated segments.

c) replace hard breaks with soft breaks: that's my preferred way of doing it. In word it means replacing ^p with ^l. The input looks like it should, but it keeps the segment in one piece without you having to meddle with segmentation rules. Negative: this means changing the input, so if you send the TM to the client, he will definitely complain about untranslated segments (sigh again). So you need to i) ask them for permission to change the material ii) deliver the translation AND the changed original iii) write in BIG letters that they have to propagate the changes in their own system and kill the "hard-breaked" (hard-broken? heart-broken ??:) versions.

My experience: I had this coming now and then and was usually the result of half-as*d formatting like numbered / outline lists, hand-coded with numbers, tabs and hard breaks.

In case of text boxes in PPT I would go for a or c.

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2007-02-03 05:39]

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Thank you, Smo... Feb 3, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:
(sigh) This is one of the pests we DONT have to live with. The antidotes are:

a) throw ...
b) expand ...
c) replace ...
My experience: ...
In case of ...

smo

Just wanted to say a big thanks to both you, Smo, and Rafal for putting the question. A great help, even though I have never had to find an "elegant" solution, I have noticed this phenomenon, and just changed it as I saw fit (using a sort of your (b) solution ). But then none of those clients has asked for the TM. Now, thanks to you both, I am prepared!! Just like a good boy scout!

Bill

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning TM from old truncated entires?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search