Multiterm
Thread poster: Veronika 2
Veronika 2
Veronika 2
Local time: 21:23
English
Feb 6, 2007

Hello,
i was asked to create a termbase from 80 previous projects from one client. I have now installed Trados Multiterm on my computer but have never used it before so any kind of advise on how to go about it would be great.
I basically have to create a completely new termbase from scratch. All the projects are in MS Word. some of the questions i need help with are:
1) I assume i have to open each project and go through it and insert the terms manually into the new termbase? <
... See more
Hello,
i was asked to create a termbase from 80 previous projects from one client. I have now installed Trados Multiterm on my computer but have never used it before so any kind of advise on how to go about it would be great.
I basically have to create a completely new termbase from scratch. All the projects are in MS Word. some of the questions i need help with are:
1) I assume i have to open each project and go through it and insert the terms manually into the new termbase?
2) Is there a way of finding the terms that are found the most often and have them listed as the most importnat in the termbase?
3) Is it possible for a non-native speaker (medium to low level knowledge of the language) of the language in which the original file is to create a term base (or is extensive knowledge of both the original and target language needed)?
4) i saw that you can download termbases for different topics online. Are these helpful?
So far this is what i need to know. Please help.
thank you
Collapse

mustafa karabiber
mustafa karabiber  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:23
English to Turkish
+ ...
Multiterm Feb 6, 2007

Hi Veronika,
For to take all project in one termbase in multiterm, It will be better for you to convert all word files to excel file,
In multiterm you can convert excel files very easily to a new termbase, (this option could be aviable Multiterm 7 desktop, I do not know others),
After converting the excel files now you can create a termbase with .xdt files which must be automatically crated while converting excel files to multiterm termbase.
After create a new termbase yo
... See more
Hi Veronika,
For to take all project in one termbase in multiterm, It will be better for you to convert all word files to excel file,
In multiterm you can convert excel files very easily to a new termbase, (this option could be aviable Multiterm 7 desktop, I do not know others),
After converting the excel files now you can create a termbase with .xdt files which must be automatically crated while converting excel files to multiterm termbase.
After create a new termbase you can import the xml files (the converted version of the excel file) that was all,
If you will have Questions try to mail me I hope I can help you for the process.

[Edited at 2007-02-06 16:49]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lexicography Feb 6, 2007

If I were offered a project like this, I would be very nervous. It is not a transition project, but a lexicography project -- creating a new small dictionary from scratch. I have tried this once or twice in the past, and I soon realised it can very quickly become very complex, labourious and time-consuming. It is easy to create a poor quality termbase. Much harder to make one worth using.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes I think you will need to open each project and
... See more
If I were offered a project like this, I would be very nervous. It is not a transition project, but a lexicography project -- creating a new small dictionary from scratch. I have tried this once or twice in the past, and I soon realised it can very quickly become very complex, labourious and time-consuming. It is easy to create a poor quality termbase. Much harder to make one worth using.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes I think you will need to open each project and insert the terms manually.

2) There is a special extraction tool from Trados called Extract (at additional cost). It will find frequently used terms, but whether it selects terms that you would choose manually is another matter.

3) I would say that you need to have extensive knowledge of both the source and target languages in order to create a good and accurate termbase.

4) You may find some termbases, you may even find some useful ones, but only you know what you really need.

If I were in your shoes, I would give it a go -- you will find it very valuable experience. But make sure your customer is aware that it is a tall orer.

[Edited at 2007-02-06 17:09]
Collapse

Paul Kozelka
Paul Kozelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:23
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Term Extraction Feb 7, 2007

For US$120 (or equivalent) you can get a neat tool from Chamblon Systems (http://www.chamblon.com/ordering.htm) that does term extraction for a lower price than SDLX's MultiTerm Extract. I comes with a French dictionary incorporated but you can add your own dictionaries. It will sort words from MSWord documents (and others?) and tell you the frequency of their occurrence (you can set a minimum occur... See more
For US$120 (or equivalent) you can get a neat tool from Chamblon Systems (http://www.chamblon.com/ordering.htm) that does term extraction for a lower price than SDLX's MultiTerm Extract. I comes with a French dictionary incorporated but you can add your own dictionaries. It will sort words from MSWord documents (and others?) and tell you the frequency of their occurrence (you can set a minimum occurrence rate so you don't get lots of prepositions). You can then export these lists for each of your documents, insert them in an Excel column, insert the translation in the neighboring column, put Source/Target languages at the head of each column, then import them into Multiterm using the Multiterm Convert feature of Trados and thus into a new termbase that you create in MTerm. I recommend doing one doc at a time, and it may take a little practice and some advice on how to use MTConvert, but this is probably your best option in terms of time and money invested.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »