How to expand or join two segments
Thread poster: Tony Tang
Tony Tang
Local time: 18:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 7, 2007

Hi, my Proz fellows,

As far as I know, trados segments a sentence or TU by a period. So I often come across the this situtation during translation: one abbreviated English word exists in a sentence, for example, "It is a max. value.", then the trados will segment this sentence into two, "It is a max." and "value", which can not be expanded or joined.

In some cases, this segmentation will cause unnecessary difficulity to translation. So is there any sugguestion about how to join or expand wrongly segmented sentences?

Thank you

Tony

[Edited at 2007-02-07 04:00]

Direct link Reply with quote

pma
Spain
Local time: 11:00
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Edit the bilingual code Feb 7, 2007

If it is only a few instances of broken units in the translation, you can simply do it manually:

- As soon as you encounter a broken sentence, close the unit before writing any target text.
- Cut the missing part of the phrase from the text below your current unit and paste it in the right position, just before the Trados closing tags. Be careful not to delete any tags.
-Re-open the unit, translate and go.

You can also delete the dot that makes the conflict in the first place and write it again into the blue source code after the unit is open.

If you expect too many crazy breaks, you might want to review the whole source text before starting to translate.
In Word, you can do this by activating the show/hide button that shows an end-of-paragraph sign.

Hope it helps.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
How to expand or join two segments Feb 7, 2007

You can use the Shrink Segment / Expand Segment commands (Alt+Ctrl+PgUp / PgDn). They won't work with a segmented document, so what you need to do first is restore the source of the two segments you want to join. (Actually, you just need to restore the source of the second segment, eg. "value". Then you can open the first segment, eg. "It is a max.", even if it's already segmented, and expand it.)

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Go to the TRADOs menu in WORD ... Feb 7, 2007

I work with a German MS Office so I don't know the exact English commands, but there are two commands in the TRADOS menu in Word that should read something like "Expand segment" and "Reduce/Shrink segment" (there are also shortkeys for these commands). You can use these to expand or reduce segments.

I would NOT recommend manual changes. They tend to cause a mess in the TM.

Tony Tang
Local time: 18:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let me more clear Feb 8, 2007

Maybe I didn't make me understood. Actually, I know the basic operation for the 'Expand Segment' or 'Shrink Segment' option. What I meant to say is that one sentence has been segmented into two TUs, just like two paragraphs. You can see, two paragraphs can not be Expanded via the 'Expand Segment' option, even if the two paragraphs are just two sentences.

In this case, is there any way to combine the two TU into one TU, just like what the sentence should be?

pma may give some way. Greedily, I would like more solutions.

Thank you

Tony

[Edited at 2007-02-08 03:28]

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:00
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Only by messing with the code Feb 26, 2007

Or delete the two sentences, copy them again from the source and delete the erroneous paragraph mark.

MetaTexis allows you to expand a segment, even if there is a paragraph mark below.

In your case, as mentioned by others, the best thing would have been to edit the document before translating and fixing erroneous paragraph/line breaks.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
What about max. value? Feb 26, 2007

You can see, two paragraphs can not be Expanded via the 'Expand Segment' option, even if the two paragraphs are just two sentences.

Im confused - can you or can you not get the above two TUs ("What about max." and "value?") into one single TU?

This specific case of split segments is the subject/target/feed of the Expand/Shrink commands. And (after I have found them and then used them the wrong way a few times) they always worked for me.

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2007-02-26 22:12]

Theodore Lemle  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:00
Italian to English
+ ...
One Million Thanks My Friend Jun 9, 2012

Hynek Palatin wrote:

You can use the Shrink Segment / Expand Segment commands (Alt+Ctrl+PgUp / PgDn). They won't work with a segmented document, so what you need to do first is restore the source of the two segments you want to join. (Actually, you just need to restore the source of the second segment, eg. "value". Then you can open the first segment, eg. "It is a max.", even if it's already segmented, and expand it.)

(Alt+Ctrl+PgDn) worked perfectly. Be sure to enter something in the target area before closing it, so that the source can't revert back to it's previous sentence segmentation.

Thank you so much! This tiny problem could have costed me hundreds of dollars.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to expand or join two segments

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search