Which CAT tool application should I use?
Thread poster: Rebeca Martín Lorenzo

Rebeca Martín Lorenzo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:57
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 9, 2007

Hello everybody

I am doing a test for a translation company specialized in software and website localization and, besides the usual translation tests, I have to answer a number of questions.

I am given 3 samples (A, B and C). Firstly, I have to name the file type of each sample. I think A is an html file, B is an Online help file and C is a resource file (.rc, programmed in C++). Secondly, I have to highlight in the texts what needs translating (already done, I have obviously avoided any codes/tags) and finally, to say which software application I would generally use to translate each text.

I think Trados TagEditor would be the best option for the html text, so as to avoid removing any of the codes/tags (or to edit them if necessary). But is TagEditor the right application to use with samples B and C (online help file and resource file)? I know there are other tools, such as "Catalyst" to deal with these files. Unfortunately I am not familiar with these tools, I have only used Trados Workbench, so I am quite lost...
But keen to learn.

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Becky

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
Test of your ability Feb 9, 2007

Becky75 wrote:

Hello everybody

I am doing a test for a translation company specialized in software and website localization and, besides the usual translation tests, I have to answer a number of questions.

I am given 3 samples (A, B and C). Firstly, I have to name the file type of each sample. I think A is an html file, B is an Online help file and C is a resource file (.rc, programmed in C++). Secondly, I have to highlight in the texts what needs translating (already done, I have obviously avoided any codes/tags) and finally, to say which software application I would generally use to translate each text.

I think Trados TagEditor would be the best option for the html text, so as to avoid removing any of the codes/tags (or to edit them if necessary). But is TagEditor the right application to use with samples B and C (online help file and resource file)? I know there are other tools, such as "Catalyst" to deal with these files. Unfortunately I am not familiar with these tools, I have only used Trados Workbench, so I am quite lost...
But keen to learn.

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Becky

Don't take this the wrong way - it is not personal - however I don't think the agency in question would necessarily regard it as ethical for you to be asking for help on a test when the whole purpose of the test is to test your ability.

You should also be aware that agencies often read forum postings to see what is going on in the industry.

Others may well disagree, but by your own admission you are not yet familiar with these tools and so I think you'd be better off doing the necessary training and/or finding an experienced colleague who has the time to teach you before actually attempting tests.

Giving in someone else's answer(s) now is going to give the agency the wrong impression of your current skills. It can land you in hot water if you accept a job and they find out you can't handle it - it's tantamount to misrepresentation in law.

[Edited at 2007-02-09 15:54]

Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Test of your ability Feb 9, 2007

Well, thanks for the advice... However, I have been translating for seven years now, both in-house and as a freelancer. I received no training for Workbench nor for T-Window either, but I managed to learn how to use them by myself, just by working with them.
In this case, I know how this agency works, and it is likely that I won't even be asked to manage .rc files, for example (once/if I pass the tests). It is only a standard test for any freelancer applying for work.
Besides, given the areas of specialization I have done the translation tests for (i.e., the texts I would be translating) I probably will just use a specific CAT tool (which I do not own yet, but will be similar to TRADOS), and I certainly will read the tutorials/manuals before starting any job.

Best regards.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
On the other hand ... Feb 10, 2007

It can land you in hot water

... not knowing / not being sure is one side of the coin. The other side is being ready to learn / asking for advice - sort of due diligence. Both aspects should be weighed against each other in this case. And I think - were I the agency - I would see it in a positive fashion under the line.

TagEditor can do res files and I assume help stuff as well. It's no big deal - there's tones of tools to translate this kind of material anyhow. In case of TagEditor however I would like the idea of using my translation memories, possibly some (Microsoft?) glossaries etc.

[Edited at 2007-02-10 04:54]

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
Willingness to learn Feb 10, 2007

Becky75 wrote:

In this case, I know how this agency works, and it is likely that I won't even be asked to manage .rc files, for example (once/if I pass the tests). It is only a standard test for any freelancer applying for work.
Besides, given the areas of specialization I have done the translation tests for (i.e., the texts I would be translating) I probably will just use a specific CAT tool (which I do not own yet, but will be similar to TRADOS), and I certainly will read the tutorials/manuals before starting any job.

Best regards.

In which case, the ethical thing to do would then be to say (in a cover e-mail) is that you've taken a bash at those questions but would be willing - in the event the rest of your test is acceptable - to get this aspect of your training up to speed. Discuss how you think it would pan out in practice, like you've explained here, so they can see how you understand things. Stress you've taught yourself other tools and have an aptitude for doing so.

If the rest of your test speaks for itself, they'll know exactly what you're capable of and where your strengths lie.

As Vito points out being ready to learn/asking for advice is something an agency would see in a positive light. However, you can show them you're willing to learn without asking others for help on a test, which some would view as a form of cheating.

So you get a couple of questions wrong, but everything else is up to scratch - give the agency some credit - they know what they're looking for!

I taught myself Trados too, no big deal using the manuals and reading the forums to see what problems crop up. And sure, when asked if I had it, I said yes - however until I was really clued-up, I always pointed out I was an inexperienced user. It didn't backfire, I never lost a job - agencies just told me if you need help, shout. On a few occasions I had to and it was an interesting learning curve.

They knew from the start what they were getting - i.e. my skills as a lawyer-linguist far outstripped my CAT skills (and always will) but it would hardly have been professional to state otherwise and then have to go back on one or two occasions for the type of help I needed.

My final contribution: be upfront, open and candid about your skills as they are right now and emphasise your willingness to learn.

Good luck

[Edited at 2007-02-10 08:45]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think that there is (there should not be) a single correct answer Feb 10, 2007

But keen to learn.

It's funny, 10 years ago I worked in a small translation company in Madrid and I had to create a test that we were going to use to hire inhouse staff. I'm wondering if it's the same agency still using that test (now for external freelancers) On the other hand, I guess it's just normal to ask these things.

In my case, there were no "correct" answers strictly speaking because what we wanted to know is what extent the candidates had been working with those files and were familiar the procedures involved when translating them.

In those times, there was not such a big choice of CAT tools and the possible ways of handling these files was somehow restricted and often the only way to deal with them was to mark the non-translatable text for TRADOS.

If I had to do this test now, I would answer that I would use TagEditor for A and C and Word + Workbench for B (online help).

I would only chose these tools because I'm more familiar with them but any decent CAT tool can do the job equally well (Passolo, WordFast, Transit). For a freelancer who always works with WordFast, the right answer would be to use WordFast, as they will get the job done faster...

Perhaps even more important than mentioning the right tool might be to give reasons your answer.

Daniel

Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 10, 2007

Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic.

And Daniel, I completely agree. After doing some research, I've come to the same conclusion as yours. B is a RTF help file so, as I am a Trados user, my answer is I would use Workbench (with Word). And although now I know that Catalyst or Passolo can handle RC files, my answer for C is going to be TagEditor, for the very same reason: I know how the application works, even if I am not an experienced user!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool application should I use?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search