Can WinAlign be used on Microsoft Access files?
Thread poster: CELC Inc

CELC Inc
Local time: 05:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2007

I have an older Microsoft Access database in English that needs updating. It's based on a Japanese database that has already been updated. The databases are both tables with 2500 entries and 10-15 items/entry.

I received both from my client, and have been trying to use WinAlign to create a translation memory for this project. I exported the two tables to XLS and used WinAlign to align them.

WinAlign creates TTX files, but nothing more. Attempting to review the alignment either crashes WinAlign (no error message, just a sudden termination) or gets some sort of error. I tried aligning the TTX files, but they are an "invalid format" (you must be joking!).

So, am I just insane to think that this should be a really easy task? What am I missing here? Should I be using another localization tool, like Passolo?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am happy with workarounds of any sort, just so long as I don't have to translate from scratch...

Thank you

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:46
English to Czech
+ ...
Aligning MS Access files Feb 17, 2007

You could actually export the tables directly into a TM text file and import it into Workbench.

But it would be probably easier for you to create an Excel table with two columns, source and target, and align it. It has been discussed in the following thread:
http://www.proz.com/topic/59306

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can WinAlign be used on Microsoft Access files?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search