Problem: Displaying special characters in TagEditor target file (SORTED)
Thread poster: Ruth Martínez

Ruth Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2007

Hello,

I hope somebody can help with this:

I am translating some Java properties files from English into Spanish, using TagEditor (Trados 2006). I am encountering problems with special characters. Everything's fine during translation, special characters - such as á, é, í - are displayed on my my bilingual ttx file. However, if I save the file as a Target file or cleanup the bilingual file, special characters are converted into Unicode codepoints, so I get "\u00ED" in
... See more
Hello,

I hope somebody can help with this:

I am translating some Java properties files from English into Spanish, using TagEditor (Trados 2006). I am encountering problems with special characters. Everything's fine during translation, special characters - such as á, é, í - are displayed on my my bilingual ttx file. However, if I save the file as a Target file or cleanup the bilingual file, special characters are converted into Unicode codepoints, so I get "\u00ED" instead of "í" and "\u00F3" instead of "í".

Do you know what - if any - settings I need to change on TagEditor in order to be able to see special characters correctly on my target properties files? So far, I've been having to edit the files with Notepad/Editpad after translating them.

I have searched the forums but haven't found a solution for this issue - and I have tried some of the solutions proposed to similar problems but they didn't work.

Cheers,
Ruth

[Edited at 2007-02-19 13:41]
Collapse


 

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are the source files Unicode? Feb 18, 2007

Ruth Martínez wrote:

Hello,

I hope somebody can help with this:

I am translating some Java properties files from English into Spanish, using TagEditor (Trados 2006). I am encountering problems with special characters. Everything's fine during translation, special characters - such as á, é, í - are displayed on my my bilingual ttx file. However, if I save the file as a Target file or cleanup the bilingual file, special characters are converted into Unicode codepoints, so I get "\u00ED" instead of "í" and "\u00F3" instead of "í".

Do you know what - if any - settings I need to change on TagEditor in order to be able to see special characters correctly on my target properties files? So far, I've been having to edit the files with Notepad/Editpad after translating them.

I have searched the forums but haven't found a solution for this issue - and I have tried some of the solutions proposed to similar problems but they didn't work.

Cheers,
Ruth


I don't know much about Java properties files but it could be that the Source files are not unicode and then your target files aren't either.

I would try these two alternatives:

a) Save the source file as Unicode (UTF-8), you can use Notepad for this, and then translate it again with TagEditor. See if the cleaned file is still escaping the special characters to unicode points.

b) Check with your customer. It might be that the application that uses these properties files can recognise happily the unicode escape points. Maybe a unicode-converted target file will not work for them...

Daniel

PS. I edit my message to add a link to the description of .properties files:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.properties

It says that this files are encoded as ASCII text files which basically means that any extended characters has to be escaped with a code.

This seems to mean that answer b) above is the right answer and that TagEditor is doing the right thing.

[Edited at 2007-02-18 23:50]


 

Ruth Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Source files as ANSI Feb 19, 2007

Thanks for your response.

The source files are encoded as ANSI. However, they have sent me some reference files from a previous translation in Spanish, also as ANSI but with normal accents, and not codes.

I know this translation was done directly on Notepad, which would explain why special characters are shown instead of codes, but I wonder whether this worked for the application.

Anyway, I'll check with the client.

Thanks again!

... See more
Thanks for your response.

The source files are encoded as ANSI. However, they have sent me some reference files from a previous translation in Spanish, also as ANSI but with normal accents, and not codes.

I know this translation was done directly on Notepad, which would explain why special characters are shown instead of codes, but I wonder whether this worked for the application.

Anyway, I'll check with the client.

Thanks again!

Ruth


UPDATE: All sorted, TagEditor is doing the right thing and client only sent the files with special characters to make my life easier...

[Edited at 2007-02-19 13:41]
Collapse


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem: Displaying special characters in TagEditor target file (SORTED)

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search