XP Media Center & Trados
Thread poster: Louve
Louve
Louve
Local time: 16:59
English to French
Feb 20, 2007

Hi all,

I just got a machine that has Windows XP Media Center; I don't know how it differs from XP Home or Professional. I'm going to get the newest Trados. Will it work with Media Center, or do I need another OS? Thank you.

Moofi
Moofi  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:59
Polish to English
+ ...
Well... Feb 20, 2007

As far as I know, Media Centre PCs are intended to be used with your television set, and are designed as an all-in-one replacement for your stereo, VCR, DVD, projector etc etc etc.

Although they are basically just small PCs, I would question what you want to do with this thing. TRADOS has never struck me as being that demanding, so it may well run quite happily on your Media Centre PC. Then again, I have as much respect for TRADOS as I do for child murderers, so use it at your own r
... See more
As far as I know, Media Centre PCs are intended to be used with your television set, and are designed as an all-in-one replacement for your stereo, VCR, DVD, projector etc etc etc.

Although they are basically just small PCs, I would question what you want to do with this thing. TRADOS has never struck me as being that demanding, so it may well run quite happily on your Media Centre PC. Then again, I have as much respect for TRADOS as I do for child murderers, so use it at your own risk!

Having said that, it would be nice to translate from the sofa with your feet up and the keyboard in your lap
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:59
French to Portuguese
+ ...
XP Media Center & Trados Feb 20, 2007

Hi Louve,

I guess Moofi hasn't got an exact of XP Media Center. Yes, it is designed for those purposes but PCs are not small.

Last week I had to buy a new computer because my old one started to fail. All the computers at the store came with XP Media Center with the possibility to upgrade to the new windows in the near future.

It has fot all the functions of windows XP, but has got a lot of media software.

I've got Trados 7 and Word 2003 and the
... See more
Hi Louve,

I guess Moofi hasn't got an exact of XP Media Center. Yes, it is designed for those purposes but PCs are not small.

Last week I had to buy a new computer because my old one started to fail. All the computers at the store came with XP Media Center with the possibility to upgrade to the new windows in the near future.

It has fot all the functions of windows XP, but has got a lot of media software.

I've got Trados 7 and Word 2003 and they are working perfectly fine. So, I guess you won't have any problems at all.

You won't need a new OS since this one hardly differs from what you are used to.

[Edited at 2007-02-20 22:53]
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 00:59
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Media Center = XP Pro Feb 21, 2007

The Media Center Edition is based on XP Pro. It just has the additional Media Center funtionality. Apart from that, you won't notice any difference from regular XP Pro.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XP Media Center & Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »